Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pole Building Home, Shouse, Metal Home

Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    Pole building homes are quite popular up here in Minnesota and people make them look real nice. I'm sure you have your reasons for having a separate shop but making the pole structure larger to incorporate the shop along with the home/garage would be a lot easier and cheaper to run electric, water, heat, septic lines, propane/gas lines etc. Have fun with your project.
    I live in Minneapolis and I don't recall ever seeing a pole barn style house in my travels around Minnesota. I guess I need to pay more attention.

It is a great idea for a rural location. I'm not sure most urban zoning codes would allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I live in Minneapolis and I don't recall ever seeing a pole barn style house in my travels around Minnesota. I guess I need to pay more attention.

It is a great idea for a rural location. I'm not sure most urban zoning codes would allow it.
    You might have driven by them and not realized it. Looking to follow this basic design here.

pinterest.com/pin/114138171787605139/

Brian, I should have clarified and said rural Minn, sorry.
    Chet

Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    Brian, I should have clarified and said rural Minn, sorry.
    I figured you meant rural areas. I certainly have not been all over the state, but I don't recall ever seeing a pole barn style house. My parents have vertical metal board and batten type siding on their house, but it is embossed to look more like wood and doesn't look like a pole barn.

I would love to do a pole barn style house, but I have a hard time thinking any municipality in the Minneapolis metro area would allow it.

Brian, your probably right. I spent my entire life in Chicago and moved out here 10 years ago just so I could do what I wanted. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread.
    Chet

Would advise you to look at Justin Ludwig's thread on building his shop. His poles go on TOP of the slab, so you don't have to worry about your poles degrading with time.

This is using what is called perma-columns. They are concrete bases that go in the ground and the post attaches to it.

permacolumn.com/what-are-perma-columns

My sister has a house that is part pole building. This was built in 71 and that was part of the builders design to keep the cost down.