Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butcher block build

Butcher block build

I've been talking about this thing in dribbles and droplets for a couple months. (I work slowly.) This weekend I got all the joinery finished and did a dry fit. Here's the joinery shot I posted previously......
    20170603_101210.jpg

Did a dry fit and clamped it up (see post #2, below) - I was pleased with the fit and the overall look. Here's the first leg I finished the detail work on - copying something I saw on a John Boos butcher block. First pic is after cutting the channel with the tablesaw. The next is what it looks like after shaping with rasps and sandpaper.
    20170611_133044.jpg20170611_163618.jpg
    There's a shelf that will sit about 3" above the top of the details. You can see the mortise for the lower stretcher on which the shelf will sit, in the first pic.

Three more legs to go. But I really am getting there.......

I'll take and post more build photos when I start gluing up the sections. Gonna glue up one side, then the other, then put the two sides together. Haven't used that approach before with a table, but I'm thinking it should make it easier. Still haven't decided on tightbond or epoxy. Gotta fish or cut bait there pretty soon.

More to come.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-11-2017 at 9:36 PM.

Here's a pic of the dry fit.
    3897.jpg

At 36" tall, this butcher block is about 2" taller than I'd really prefer from a "looks" point of view. To my eye, it's a bit too gangly. But Mother insists it be this height to match her countertops, and since it's a gift for her, she gets to choose. The leg details I showed you will be about 3" below the shelf, which sits on top of the bottom stretcher.

One thing I'm very pleased about is how solid it is. I was concerned that it might be a tad top heavy. But it isn't.

More to come......
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-11-2017 at 9:38 PM.

Looks good. With that beefiness I dont think its too tall. Since the top does not have much overhang and is rounded at bottom ,I would add a routed drip edge groove to keep the framework clean.

Thanks Mel!

Geez, you're right. I hadn't considered stuff slopping over and following those rounded edges. I moved the legs out close to the edge of the top to increase stability - the top us 20" x 30" and 3 1/2" thick, so that was a real concern. I'll talk ewith her about adding such a groove.

Fred

Is the top maple ?

Yes..........

Well, I got her glued up the last couple weekends.

I decided to attach the top using an approach I've done on smaller work. I upsized it to handle the mass of this thing. Basically, I add a rail that has large holes in the top. I'll run lag bolts with fender washers through the holes to attach the top. The holes are larger than the bolts, so the top can move. I screwed the rail to the apron with all the screws in a single line, so movement won't bite me there. Here's a pic, though it's a bit fuzzy.
    20170722_201949.jpg

Here's the base, all glued up. I still need to make a slatted shelf to sit atop the bottom stringers.
    20170722_201717.jpg

Till next time....
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-22-2017 at 9:33 PM.

Got the shelf figured out and assembled this weekend. I'm glad I went ahead and made that - I almost skipped it. Pic below shows the bottom of the shelf. I made a tongue and groove arrangement to attach the slats to a frame. When installed, the shelf floats on top of the stringers, rather than being glued in or pegged.
    20170813_204626.jpg

Here's the shelf installed. To my eye, it makes a big difference in the overall look.
    20170813_204348.jpg

Today, I used India ink to dye the shelf black. Need another coat. Then I'll use the ink on the rest of the base. I'm gettin' there, slowly but surely.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-13-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Looks good. I like the shelf and the cut details on the legs. Curious to see the finished product.

Hi Fred, The shelf really adds a lot to give the base more bulk, looks real good. Can I ask how you like the centipede? Do you find it as stable as they advertise? Chet

Great project, Fred! I also don't feel it looks too tall and even if it did, this is a piece that's all about function since actual work will get done on it. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys. So far I'm pleased. I wish my Mom would have let me do the base in maple and leave it natural. But she's determined to dye it black. It should still look good with the maple top though. And I was surprised at how much the shelf adds to the overall look. I'll post more pics after I get all of it dyed!

Chet, so far I really like the centipede. I drilled a hole in the MDF top above each pad and put a3 bench dog in each hole. It seems very solid. Now, I wouldnt plane on it, but it makes a perfectly fine assembly table. Lowes has the small one for $35 - it's worth that for certain.

Fred

Thanks Fred, I've been on the fence about getting the centipede for some time now.
    Chet

{topic digress}

Fred, I didn't update the original thread, but I managed to score two of the Centipedes for $35 from Lowes. The tag said "closeout", so that may be one reason why the price is so much lower than at other sources.

{/topic digress}
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Completed, at last!

Hi guys,
    Here's where I finally got to, installed in Mom's kitchen. Still too tall for me but it's what she wanted. I would have liked larger overhangs but the space is tight and I was worried about it being top heavy - so I spaced the legs as widely as I could. I opted not to add a blood groove - we'll see if I regret that - can add later if I just had to.

The base is poplar, with 2 coats of India Ink as the dye. I topcoated it with 3 coats of Waterlox Marine Sealer. Manufacturer said that would be fine in the kitchen - dont have to top coat it with their spar varnish. The finish is satin, but it's too glossy for me. So I'm going to let it cure a month or so and then knock down the gloss with some steel wool and paste wax.

The top is maple and it's got 4 coats of Watco Butcher Block Oil. It came out well, but in hindsight, I would have been better off using Olive Oil as I have in the past. No harm done though.

Anyway, that pretty much closes out this project!

Have a good weekend!
    Fred

(Despite reading the note the other day, I still cant get the first pic to view in the vertical, as it was taken. Sorry for the eye strain.)

20171013_114616.jpg
    20171013_115348.jpg
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-13-2017 at 1:24 PM.