Thread: What kind of tree?

What kind of tree?

It's been suggested that this may be a lilac tree. Diameter is about 7 - 8 inches.

Apparently, the tree flowers...

It blew down in my daughters back yard so I hope to make her something out of it.

Thanks for and and all help...

Jodes Tree.JPGJodes Tree -1.JPGJodes Tree - 2.JPG
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I'm only familiar with the bush, not the tree. You might cut into it and take a close look at the end grain and see if it matches those shown on these pages:

http://www.wood-database.com/lilac/
    http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/lilac.htm

Apparently trees called Japanese Lilac (Syringa reticulata) are common in some areas.

From hobbithouseinc: Other common names include persian lilac and chinaberry but the name chinaberry is also used commonly for an unrelated species and thus has its own page on this site.
    In addition to the Syringa species, there are at least 20 more species from a dozen different genera that have "lilac" as all or part of one or more of their common names. Some of these overlap with "myrtle" names.

As a type of olive the wood could possibly be fantastic.

You might consider digging up the root ball as described in this comment on the Wood Database entry:

"I have gathered root balls of lilac, both live and burned over by fire. Turning the wood green is a real pleasure, the root balls are made up of lignotubers, which are essentially very small burls about 1/4" or so in diameter, packed together to make up the root ball. After the wood is dry, it is extremely hard, and is very difficult to turn. Sharp tools or carbide tools take off very small shavings, about .001" thick in most cases. Because of the fine structure of the lignotubers, the wood is very tough. When the root balls are found burned and dead, the wood dries very differently. It is still very hard, but the toughness has given way to a brittleness."

JKJ

Thank you.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I had a Japanese White Lilac tree, that tree, seen in the picture does have a different bark and flower build, also the leaves are different from the one you are showing.

I do not believe it is a Japanese Lilac tree, not sure what it is right now, maybe a can think of it later, maybe.

My Japan Lilac.jpg 100_0587_2.JPG

I did also turn some Japanese Lilac, it is very nice wood and turns and finishes very finely, especially nice when spalted as you can see.

Lilac bowl.jpg Japanese Lilac bowl.jpg Lilac bowl inside.jpg

I hope your wood there is going to be as nice, even if it is a different Lilac tree it could well be very nice also.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 06-13-2017 at 2:14 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Cherry-probably black or choke cherry. Bark, leaves and fruit/flower are all correct for cherry. Should turn nicely. It will crack/check quickly once cut so turn or process it soon.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Just judging by the dead or dried flowers in the picture, I would have to say it is a lilac tree of some sort.
    Len

I looked at that second picture a couple more times, and I think that it is a Choke Cherry, wasn’t sure how far North these trees grow, but apparently they do grow a long way North.

I pulled a picture from the net that shows the flower candles and leave shape really identical to the one you show in the second picture.

Prunus virginiana flowers.jpg
    Have fun and take care