Thread: A Couple of Cookies

A Couple of Cookies

well thats what the arbourists call them

the large one is 39" across, the other is about 18 and is one of two

DSC00836.jpgDSC00782.jpgDSC00855.jpgDSC00854.jpg

great fun flattening them, the big one was done with a router, the little ones with a dado cutter on a radial arm saw

What kind of wood are they? In the old days we cut most big logs into "COOKIES" just so we could get them onto the truck. Three legs seemed to work best on the irregular chainsaw cuts. Sears belt sanders were used to flatten them. I still think about making a router sled for flattering them. Looks like you have them pretty flat. Good luck with drying. I have an ELM "COOKIE" table on my front porch cut in 1972 and 3 houses ago. Quite checked, but very usable.

the big "cookie" was cut 5 years ago, so its plenty dry. the thickness varied from 7 to 3 inches, finished thickness is 2 3/4 and as flat as can be in wood. final finishing was with a block plane with a very low angle then ros, 220 grit

the two smaller ones were a year or more before i worked them over. final finishing with a block plane then 220 ros

they are manitoba maple, tripod stands are white cedar, mortised and tenon joinery