Thread: Micro Mesh Query

Micro Mesh Query

This weekend I picked up a variety pack of micro mesh at a local woodworking show. I've never used this before but I've also never read a negative comment about it. Any advice? I'm planning on turning a corncob pen tommorow night, is that a good project to try the micro mesh on?

Thanks,
    Jason

Jason - A light touch is needed. A very light touch. Otherwise you'll burn the mesh and leave a schmear of mesh goo on the turning
    Only the Blue Roads

Jason, I've never turned a corncob, but I was talking to Earl Reid last weekend and told him that I planned on doing it soon. He gave me one piece of advice that I'll pass on to you. The corn cob is extremely abrasive and that it'll wear out the edge on your tools quicker and force you to use a lot more sandpaper than most any other material. I expect that it'll eat up your micromesh as well. Good luck! Hope to see your final product posted here!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jason, to back up a bit more on what Andy mentions, light touch AND, whenever possible, use it wet! The lubrication helps prolong the life of the mesh, among other things. Also, typical buildup on the mesh can largely be eradicated by simply washing the thing under running water. Also, try not to "polish" the surface with the micro and a guzzillion RPM's. It's not necessary and you will burn the micro! (DAMHIKT! )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jason, you will want to finish the pen with CA. After that, use the micro mesh. Do not use it before.
    Don't bother getting the pen precise with turning tools because coarse sandpaper abrades the cob very quickly.
    The cobs are porous, so use epoxy to glue the tubes in. CA would probably be inadequate, and poly glue might split the cob.
    The cob will possibly have holes in it where the kernels were. Save your sawdust to fill those holes. Some guys like to use a contrasting sawdust for this.
    Good luck.
    Joe