Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALUM354 Black/Gold Laserable aluminum issues

ALUM354 Black/Gold Laserable aluminum issues

I've got a sheet of ALUM354 from JDS Industries here. Been trying to get it to engrave to a good gold color on my 100watt laser, but having no such luck. I can either blow through the gold and expose the underlying silver color of the aluminum, or the black doesn't come off. Can't seem to get anything in between. I did the same job on my smaller 40 watt laser, and can get a decent result however. But, working on a job that's bigger than the table on my 40 watt. Has anyone had any luck with this material, and if so, what settings, etc. did you use to get it to actually look gold when done?

Thanks.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

I quit using that stuff around 2 years ago because of that problem. I get mine from Marco, the masking says "Laser*It", but I suspect it may be the same stuff.. When I first started buying it I was very pleased with it, the gold was nice and gold, and I liked NOT having to buy laser-steel (or RAZOR-steel may be more fitting). Then one day I started on a new batch and I seriously thought I grabbed a sheet of silver by mistake.

Nope.

If you engrave each, side by side you can tell the difference, but only barely. The gold simply looks silver with a touch of a gold hue.

I complained, traded what I bought in on some Laser Steel, and about 6 months later I bought another sheet to see if the 'bad batch' was used up.

Nope. And there's no settings that will make it any gold-er that I've found. It just plain ain't gold enough...

And I bought another sheet 6 months after that, same thing.

I hate Laser Steel, but at least it's gold. And unless another mfr. makes a better gold-aluminum, I'm afraid you're stuck with Laser Steel too...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

JDS has laser power settings to start with. We use this material with both our 30 and 60 watt lasers with positive results
    https://shop.jdsindustries.com/site_...d_Settings.pdf
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I quit using that stuff around 2 years ago because of that problem. I get mine from Marco, the masking says "Laser*It", but I suspect it may be the same stuff.. When I first started buying it I was very pleased with it, the gold was nice and gold, and I liked NOT having to buy laser-steel (or RAZOR-steel may be more fitting). Then one day I started on a new batch and I seriously thought I grabbed a sheet of silver by mistake.

I hate Laser Steel, but at least it's gold. And unless another mfr. makes a better gold-aluminum, I'm afraid you're stuck with Laser Steel too...
    I'm not near the metal at the moment, so don't remember if it's the Laser*It or not. Will have to check. What is the part number for the laser steel from Marco? Looking at their catalog, but don't see anything called that, so not sure of the exact metal you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    JDS has laser power settings to start with. We use this material with both our 30 and 60 watt lasers with positive results
    https://shop.jdsindustries.com/site_...d_Settings.pdf
    That's where I started at, but at those powers, it just blows right through the gold. Their powers work out to about 24 watts or so, but I'm at 7.6 watts and 550 mm/s on my 40 watt laser to get anything that's remotely usable when done. Not sure in what world they were using 24 watts, I can't get anywhere close to that on my machine.

I 2nd the "Laser-It" product. Great product.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    I'm not near the metal at the moment, so don't remember if it's the Laser*It or not. Will have to check. What is the part number for the laser steel from Marco? Looking at their catalog, but don't see anything called that, so not sure of the exact metal you are talking about.
    2017 catalog, top of page 37, the 'laserable aluminum' section it's the H116-21, 'black, lasers GOLD'-- 'Laser*IT"s brand name is just below on the same page--
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

For the record, I love Laser*it, just not their gold/black aluminum!

I'll show ya why---
    Here I have 3 pieces of trophy stock, the 2 Laser*it's and small piece of Lasersteel...
    golda.jpg

Opposite side- Because they only print what it is in one place,
    I do (did) this on the backs so I knew the gold from silver...
    goldb.jpg

I ran a laser test of each, all at 40% power and 75% speed, on my 40w LS900...
    These are the results. Top is Lasersteel, middle is gold, bottom silver...
    Can you tell any difference between the gold and silver in this pic?
    gold1.jpg

A closer-up shot reveals a hint of gold now...
    gold2.jpg

When you get the light just right, it does somewhat resemble gold...
    gold3.jpg

However, I can't sell this to anyone because chances are the light's not always going to be right...

I haven't bought this stuff in over a year, maybe 2 years. It USED to plenty gold, but 3 different buys over the course of more than a year gave me results you see here. I can't sell gold that's not...

If it's better now, I'll gladly start buying it again
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Aluminum leaves a residue on the material that's more obvious than on steel. Wipe it off with polishing compound and it will be gold. Steel comes out "golder" but I've found the pros of Aluminum outweigh the cons.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

2017 catalog, top of page 37, the 'laserable aluminum' section it's the H116-21, 'black, lasers GOLD'-- 'Laser*IT"s brand name is just below on the same page--
    Thank you sir. That's the one I thought it was. I'll give some of that a try. The results from your test definitely look much better than what I'm seeing with the current metal I have.
    Appreciate the insight and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Aluminum leaves a residue on the material that's more obvious than on steel. Wipe it off with polishing compound and it will be gold.
    With all due respect my friend, no, it won't

second round of testing-- settings as they say, 500dpi both directions
    --this is as it came off the machine, no air, no buffing-
    Almost looks like the Cermark settings are right...?
    gold4.jpg

This is after hitting it with Mothers mag polish. I wiped it hard enough it etched the black coating...
    You can see from the thumbnails that THIS one appears more gold. But it's only because the ash
    was still covering the plate in the pic above (I did wipe yesterday's samples down, just not with polish)
    gold5.jpg
    The only hint of suitable gold here is what's showing under the black in the 20 power version.
    But just a slight increase in power density and it's gone...

It's nothing I'm doing, fact is there is simply something wrong with this batch I got. I was very happy with this gold, probably 20 sheets worth before
    the bad started showing up.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Argh. So, I ordered 6 sheets of H116-21 from Marco for this project. Got the box, opened it up, and it's Laser*IT metal that they sent. :-\ So, I guess I have to call them tomorrow and see if I can get the actual H116-21 that you showed that actually works.

you got the right stuff, check the back, it should say 'LASER BLACK-GOLD ALUMINUM' in black dot matrix lettering. And that writing is the only way you can tell it apart from the 'engraves silver' stuff, which is why I covered the back of my gold sheets with yellow highlighter G's...

I'm curious how it works-- and oh yeah, there will a manufacture date on the back-- I just bought some silver that was made in 2014...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

you got the right stuff, check the back, it should say 'LASER BLACK-GOLD ALUMINUM' in black dot matrix lettering. And that writing is the only way you can tell it apart from the 'engraves silver' stuff, which is why I covered the back of my gold sheets with yellow highlighter G's...

I'm curious how it works-- and oh yeah, there will a manufacture date on the back-- I just bought some silver that was made in 2014...

OK, I guess I'm confused now. I thought that you said the Laser*IT was the stuff that didn't work well, and came out Silver instead of gold? This is a pic of the front and back of the stuff I got from Marco. Is this the same as what you were calling Laser Steel that engraves to a good gold?

Thanks for your assistance.

20170619_2132271.jpg20170619_2139581.jpg

Steve,

You may have received wrong product but it is marked on the back correctly. Could it be that you are overpowering it. Try less power or faster speed on a test grid.
    JDS is another source you can order from. Couple of products show in their catalog.

JDS P/N is ALUM621 (black lasers gold) or another produce ultra aluminum P/N ULT203 (Gloss black aluminum lasers gold).
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 06-20-2017 at 8:22 AM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software