Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALUM354 Black/Gold Laserable aluminum issues

Oh man... My apologies, I just went back upwards and re-read your original question, and somehow I missed 'lasersteel'... Now I feel bad!

I'm sure Marco will take it back but I feel bad for having you order the wrong material...

The laser STEEL is on the next page, 38 (2017 catalog) bottom of the page 'brass plated steel engraving stock' - part number H125-2 --

HOWEVER-- As penance for my goof, I'll buy one sheet of the gold you DID get, specifically for you to try out.
    I'll even cover your shipping costs to ship the other back if it doesn't come out gold enough and you end up buying the lasersteel.

This way, you can see if it works before you send it all back. I'm curious to see if it DOES work now, I'm hoping LaserIt was aware of the problem and resolved it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Oh man... My apologies, I just went back upwards and re-read your original question, and somehow I missed 'lasersteel'... Now I feel bad!

I'm sure Marco will take it back but I feel bad for having you order the wrong material...

The laser STEEL is on the next page, 38 (2017 catalog) bottom of the page 'brass plated steel engraving stock' - part number H125-2 --

HOWEVER-- As penance for my goof, I'll buy one sheet of the gold you DID get, specifically for you to try out.
    I'll even cover your shipping costs to ship the other back if it doesn't come out gold enough and you end up buying the lasersteel.

This way, you can see if it works before you send it all back. I'm curious to see if it DOES work now, I'm hoping LaserIt was aware of the problem and resolved it!
    Sometimes, it's so easy to misread messages, e-mail, etc. The one disadvantage of electronic communications sometimes. Hopefully, I'll have some time to try some tests today, and will let you know what I find out.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

OK, got a chance to fool around with this a bit this afternoon. On my 100 watt machine, even dropping down to 8 watts, and 600mm/s speed, it's blowing right through the gold. You can see some small remnants of gold in the test letters, and some halo of gold around the edges, but the centers of everything are very much silver. Not sure how low I'd have to go to try and leave some gold, but the 100 watt laser won't fire under about 8, so can't go any lower with that machine. So, looks like I'll call Marco and see if I can exchange this for some of the LaserSteel tomorrow, and stay far away from the Black/Gold Laser*IT Metal in the future....

I was hoping for better news....

checking my photo archives, I do have evidence this stuff was once pretty good---

first pic, this is laser steel, as the plate says, in 2005. I don't even think they had gold laserable aluminum back then,
    I know I was happy they had ANY laserable metals back then! A giveaway that it's not aluminum is, you can't
    see the edge, because it's so thin...

lzsteel05.jpg

Below is a plaque I made with a good version of the gold aluminum-- I have some weird background reflections
    going on that over-brighten some of the plate, but the logo and the big lettering, and many places
    around the border are MUCH more gold color than the bad version, and is pretty close to on par with the steel.
    And along the left edge the thicker, silver edge is visible...
    lzit13.jpg

I would have hoped what's being sold these days would more resemble this plate...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I was hoping for better news....

I would have hoped what's being sold these days would more resemble this plate...
    I was certainly hoping for a better outcome as well. I can't see how vendors can sell a couple of the different black to gold metals I've tried. I can't see how anyone can get any kind of good output from them at all at this point. Really makes me worry about any of the colors to gold that different vendors have, and apprehensive to try and market any of that to my customers. Colors to silver yes, anything else.... Maybe not....