Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi disc stacking insert cope and stick shaper cutters?

Blog Entries

Multi disc stacking insert cope and stick shaper cutters?

I'm looking for the functionality of a 6/8 piece brazed freeborn passage door set (will be used for 1.125" cabinet doors) but preferably in a insert head.

Basically the garniga stile and rail set, but with a deeper bead and cove profile.

Does such an animal exist somewhere off the shelf, or am I looking at something custom?

Freud's insert set maybe?

Garniga has other profiles.

Laguna had a chinese import one too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Freud's insert set maybe?

Garniga has other profiles.

Laguna had a chinese import one too.
    Freuds are 1pc cutters with a profile knife, there is no way to shim for flat panels.

Garniga would work, but the cabinet set still wouldnt work with doors that thick (and i think i would still need assuming custom knives)

I looked at laguna's site but there is no picture, and for the price Im not confident they are stackable.

It looks like freeborn used to make a 7 piece insert set, but I only see a 3 piece version now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Actually the reverse of that particular profile.

Rangate may offer something by Zuani. Won't be cheap, but the rabbeting cutters I have are top shelf!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Rangate may offer something by Zuani. Won't be cheap, but the rabbeting cutters I have are top shelf!
    Yeah, that zunai door set with all the options is right about $5k

I just noticed today amana has a similar set and appears to be sold piecemeal. The profiles do seem odd though at almost 3/4" wide.

When you say 5k for the zuani, I don't follow- maybe I am looking at the wrong set? Looks like the cutter set is about $1900.00. Obviously if you are buying multiple profile options, it will increase, but....
    I am not a fan of aluminum bodied cutters like the Amana.

Blog Entries
    When you say 5k for the zuani, I don't follow- maybe I am looking at the wrong set? Looks like the cutter set is about $1900.00. Obviously if you are buying multiple profile options, it will increase, but....
    I am not a fan of aluminum bodied cutters like the Amana.
    That was for the complete passage door set

Ok, the number I referenced was the cabinet door set that was your initial inquiry.
    A passage set is a bit more involved, and pretty sure it accomodates much more thickness options.

Blog Entries
    Ok, the number I referenced was the cabinet door set that was your initial inquiry.
    A passage set is a bit more involved, and pretty sure it accomodates much more thickness options.
    Looking at the zuani cabinet set, it maxes out at 1" thick doors. I looked at the passage door set because I need a setup capable of 1.125"+. Also the deeper passage/exterior door profile looks more at home on the thicker cabiner doors in my opinion. The only downside is the price

I bought a Garniga set 15 years ago that I think goes to 1 1/4 or so. Next time I get to the shop I will get some pictures.
    Garniga was bought by Record and now Record and Zuani have merged but I think they still plan to offer most Garniga products.

the way I was taught you miter the profile. its slower but you choose any thickness door, any thickness tennon and you can center it. With this set below you have a tongue and groove joint, the tongue is thin as the profile pushes it back and there isnt much meat left, material behind it weaker as well. Its a draw back with these cutter sets in the process of accommodating the profile depth they push the time proven rules from the past aside.

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 06-17-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    the way I was taught you miter the profile. its slower but you choose any thickness door, any thickness tennon and you can center it. With this set below you have a tongue and groove joint, the tongue is thin as the profile pushes it back and there isnt much meat left, material behind it weaker as well. Its a draw back with these cutter sets in the process of accommodating the profile depth they push the time proven rules from the past aside.

Capture.JPG
    Yeah
    I've used jack miters if I only needed and couple doors, was matching existing work and didn't have a cope and stick set that matched. Speed wise it's not even close though.

As for the tongue and groove in the amana profile it's thinner than I would want ideally. I would expect the ability to fit a thicker (or stack) groover.

Here are some pictures from the Garniga set. It is not what a mainstream cabinet shop would want. It has 4 profiles and goes from 23 to 28mm. I have done a little thinner than 22 but it starts getting thin on the back like the picture Warren shows. When we did a lot of kitchens we always made 1" thick doors. You can tenon if desired or cope and does the glass cutout. The groover for the slot is 5mm but I ordered a 6mm with the set if I ever need that size.

The only kitchen cabinets I ever true mortised were my own. I tenon any furniture I make. Kitchens are unfortunately a fashion deal and get changed out every 20 to 30 years usually. We always dowel coped rails but the mainstream way of just gluing and pinning the cope and stick will probably last the life of the kitchen.

cabinet tenons 2.jpeg
    cabinet tenons.jpeg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpgIMG_2831.jpg