Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LV "Vesper-lite" double square?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have one of the LV squares and it works fine. I prefer the Sterling Tool Works version. I've never used or seen the Vesper square. One thing about the Sterling is that you can buy just the blade if you already have a double square and save a bit of money.

One nice thing about the LV version is that it comes in a box for storage. The thin end of the rule can be bent if you're not careful. I made a box for my three from Sterling tool works. I teach so I have a few of these.

Mike

[I just went and looked at the Vesper web site - $200+ for one of his squares (depending on which one you choose). The Sterling Tool Works blade to be added to an existing double square is $25. And you can get the whole thing for $60. After using the Sterling Tool Works blade in an existing double square I can't imagine what advantages the Vesper would have that would make it worth that much more money.]
    I have handled both (Sterling vs LV) and for the small price difference, one should definitely go for the Sterling square, because its narrow blade is narrower and longer than LV's which can be critical for very narrow dovetail work.

The much more expensive Vesper square, like planes costing $3,000 a piece, won't make you a better woodworker or your work finer. But it is a boutique tool and it is to be had not just for functional reasons and hence shouldn't be judged on that count alone. I have seen woodworkers with fancy and expensive marking tools and their work; suffice to say that the two have no cause & effect relationships (and that applies to most other hand tools).

Simon

I have the Sterling square, and it is a dandy. Chris makes some very high-quality tools. Plus...I like to support local family-owned businesses.

The Vesper tools are aspirational for me - one day I might be able to benefit from his level of accuracy!

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    I have the Sterling square, and it is a dandy. Chris makes some very high-quality tools. Plus...I like to support local family-owned businesses.

The Vesper tools are aspirational for me - one day I might be able to benefit from his level of accuracy!

TedP
    I think I mentioned this somewhere else: My Vesper double square is flat and square to within 0.0005" over its 6" length, when compared to my Starrett 55-6 (bevel edged) master square.

That's a very good performance for *any* sliding square, and positively amazing when you consider that the head is only 15 mm wide. The machined lands on the head therefore have to be square to within 0.00005" to achieve that, which is why I suspect I may have a "lucky copy".

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have a Vesper die maker's square. It is a very well made tool,except everything Chris makes (to my knowledge) is graduated in metric. ...
    I have a Vesper bevel gauge, and it's not graduated in metric.
    Mark Maleski

Coming at me from a new angle?

Blog Entries
    I just ordered one.

Lowell: Angling for compliments?

Now you're just being obtuse.

Blog Entries
    Actually, just bragging.

I don't know why I bought it. I just wanted it.

I have done that plenty of times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Actually, just bragging.

I don't know why I bought it. I just wanted it.
    My shop is half full of things like that.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So is my large shop (30' x 40' with 16' x22' original garage I had the large building added on to). But,it is not loaded with repeats of the same tool. A lot of carving tools,but not the same sizes,etc..

We had a machine dealer here for many years. He sold things often for many times less than they cost. Mostly machinist's tools and machinery,but at times great woodworking tools and machinery that I'd loved to have bought,but just had no more space. I saw wonderful old(but well cared for) Boice Crane table saws and once even the TABLE SAW that Sears used to sell in the 50's and 60's.Not that it was a great machine,but very nostalgic for me as the Sears catalog was the most read book in the house when I was a young teenager in Alaska,longing to have those things,but not a chance in the World of having them,or of having a shop to put them in.

I bought stuff there for about 30 years. Now he's moved so he's about 120 miles away. Just too far to drive ON THE CHANCE that I'd get something great. Not the case most times! He even started out here in Williamsburg.

Just as well anyway. I don't have the money coming in like I did in those many years I repaired and made things for my wealthy customer. Now she has filled her LARGE house with too much stuff! And,now that her husband is dead,she just game fishes on her yacht. She even has her own captain. And,I'm just plain worn out in several joints anyway. Surgery soon. I'm sure it is the same story for many of us old timers: now that we have our dream shop,we're too worn out to do much! The hard labor I had to do as a kid has caught up with me.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-25-2017 at 9:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    George,

You have lived in two of my favorite places to visit, Alaska and Williamsburg.
    I live in Galveston County and near the Manned Spacecraft Center at NASA.

I've had several neighbors that work or worked there. We see the retired orbiter spacecraft mounted on a 747
    and think nothing about it.

Were you in Alaska as an adult?
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-25-2017 at 9:56 AM.