Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV "Vesper-lite" double square?

LV "Vesper-lite" double square?

Out of curiosity has anybody tried this double-square: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...936,42941&ap=1

It looks like a cost-reduced version of the Vesper, which makes it interesting even though I have the Vesper. The main cost reductions seem to be:

1. Body made of SS instead of hardened O1. It won't wear as well as the Vesper, but it should be loads more durable (and therefore dimensionally stable) than cast iron, and also rust-resistant.

2. No rotation stop in the locking mechanism. This is a very nifty feature on the Vesper.

3. Lower precision. 0.003" over the length for the LV, vs ~0.0005" on my sample of the Vesper. To be fair LV's marking tools usually beat their specs by a fair margin, and I haven't seen a spec for the Vesper so I don't know how typical my sample is. Also 0.001 in/in is BS 939 class B, which is pretty typical for modestly priced squares.

All in all it looks like a really nice everyday tool.

Anticipating an obvious comment/criticism: That basic design has been around for ever other than the rotation stop, so it's not like LV is knocking Vesper off

I have one and like it. I got it to check square for pins and tails, but that's not so much an issue these days; I've cut so many BAD dovetails and tenons my eye has gotten a lot better.

I do find its smallish size less desirable for marking than larger cousins; it doesn't register and hold steady as comfortably.

It is still my go-to for small drawers and boxes these days - but perhaps that's just because I own one...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have one and like it. I got it to check square for pins and tails, but that's not so much an issue these days; I've cut so many BAD dovetails and tenons my eye has gotten a lot better.

I do find its smallish size less desirable for marking than larger cousins; it doesn't register and hold steady as comfortably.

It is still my go-to for small drawers and boxes these days - but perhaps that's just because I own one...
    Thanks! I have a bunch of bigger squares and would only use something like this for small work.

I do, and it's a good tool for the price – though I have some quibbles. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/to...ouble-square-2

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Fitzpatrick View Post
    I do, and it's a good tool for the price – though I have some quibbles. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/to...ouble-square-2
    Thanks Megan, that basically confirms everything I expected (or suspected).

BTW the Die Marker's Square that you describe L-N as selling is a Starrett 453A. I like the 457C, but now we're getting into eye-wateringly expensive stuff (that even I don't own).

I also find it hilarious that L-N sells the Starrett master squares (flat and square to 0.0001" per 6") rather than the standard "machinist-grade" ones (0.0002" per 6"). Obviously that extra tenth of a mil will make a huge difference to your woodworking :-).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 06-13-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    My heart coveted the LV square when the catalog arrived in the mail.

Being a bit on the frugal side at times my desire changed to inspiration.

Bought some flat brass strips and cobbled together some scrap rosewood and a ruler a previous owner had cut and made my own:

Dovetail Square & Saw Handle.jpg

The blade is fixed, but is good enough for my work.

Though sometimes my dreams still wonder into the world of the LV squares…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My heart coveted the LV square when the catalog arrived in the mail.

Being a bit on the frugal side at times my desire changed to inspiration.

Bought some flat brass strips and cobbled together some scrap rosewood and a ruler a previous owner had cut and made my own:
    Wow, that looks like a really efficient solution for things like checking mortises for square, and elegantly executed. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Though sometimes my dreams still wonder into the world of the LV squares…
    Don't do it, it's a slippery slope. LV, then Starrett, then Vesper, then rock bottom. Of course if you're *really* depraved then you could also work Woodpecker and BCTW in there somewhere.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 06-13-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Wow, that looks like a really efficient solution for things like checking mortises for square, and elegantly executed. Nice!

Don't do it, it's a slippery slope. LV, then Starrett, then Vesper, then rock bottom. Of course if you're *really* depraved then you could also work Woodpecker and BCTW in there somewhere.
    Thanks for the kind words.

BCTW is a temptingly short drive down the highway.

To avoid temptation I haven't even Googled the address. There is likely also a very tempting brew pub right across the way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a Vesper die maker's square. It is a very well made tool,except everything Chris makes (to my knowledge) is graduated in metric. I've encouraged him to do inches on tools he sells here. Maybe he does,and I'm not aware of it yet. Haven't had Chris here at my house for a few years.

If the LV stainless steel version is hardened(there are MANY stainless steels!) the LV version should be just fine for wear,and last several life times. The little square is not something you're going to be using all of the time anyway. And,I DO like the INCH grads on the LV square.

I didn't know that the Vesper square cost that much ! We did several trades when Chris was here. Money was not involved.

I have one of the LV squares and it works fine. I prefer the Sterling Tool Works version. I've never used or seen the Vesper square. One thing about the Sterling is that you can buy just the blade if you already have a double square and save a bit of money.

One nice thing about the LV version is that it comes in a box for storage. The thin end of the rule can be bent if you're not careful. I made a box for my three from Sterling tool works. I teach so I have a few of these.

Mike

[I just went and looked at the Vesper web site - $200+ for one of his squares (depending on which one you choose). The Sterling Tool Works blade to be added to an existing double square is $25. And you can get the whole thing for $60. After using the Sterling Tool Works blade in an existing double square I can't imagine what advantages the Vesper would have that would make it worth that much more money.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-14-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Rats!

I have a 4" double square, but I can't find it. I know I am the only one to do stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Rats!

I have a 4" double square, but I can't find it. I know I am the only one to do stuff like this.
    There's only one solution: buy another one. When you bring it into the shop, your original one, concluding that you've brought a friend for it to play with, will come out of its hiding place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    There's only one solution: buy another one. When you bring it into the shop, your original one, concluding that you've brought a friend for it to play with, will come out of its hiding place.
    Yeah, I don't even know how many double squares I have. At least 10, probably more - LV, Mitutoyo, iGauging and PEC - several of each.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

From left to right: Vesper double square, Starrett double square, Moore and Wright double square ...

The Vesper comes with three blades, the Starrett with two, and the Moore and Wright with three. I purchased the M&W at a bootsale for $30!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have a Vesper die maker's square. It is a very well made tool,except everything Chris makes (to my knowledge) is graduated in metric. I've encouraged him to do inches on tools he sells here. Maybe he does,and I'm not aware of it yet.
    He makes the double square in Imperial units, and TFWW sells it. As you say it isn't cheap, but it's an extremely good tool.