Thread: Modified Router Table/Lift for 2.2kw Water Cooled Spindle

Modified Router Table/Lift for 2.2kw Water Cooled Spindle

It was requested that I Post how I added a 2.2kw spindle to my router lift so here it is.

I was wanting to do this for some time to lower the noise in my shop and maybe have a
    little more power spinning the larger panel bits. So being that my DIY CNC had one that was
    8 years old I decided to purchase a new 2.2kw for my CNC and move this to my router table.
    also since my tablesaw/router table is all in one i had to convert my tablesaw motor over to
    220v and purchase a new magnetic switch to handle the new 220v.

The first thing I did was mount the VFD and make a plate for the On/Off switch and speed control pot.
    the VFD settings were pretty much default with the exception of the following settings

PD001 = 1 (this is for the external On/Off run swtich)
    PD002 = 1 (this is for the external speed control pot)
    PD005 = 400
    PD004 = 400
    PD003 = 400
    PD072 = 400
    PD144 = 3000

VFD_Front_On-Off_Speed_Control.jpg

The On/Off Run swtich is connected to the "DCM" and "FOR" terminals.
    The 10K pot is connected to the "VI", "ACM" and "10V" terminals.
    The 220v input is connected to the "R" and "S" terminals.
    The spindle is connected to the "V (pin1)", "W (pin2)" and "U (pin3)" terminals.

VFD_Connections.jpg

For the water cooling i just put together some spare parts i had from and earlier laser engraver cooling project.

Water_Cooling.jpg

on my PRL-V2 I ordered a set of 3.5" motor blocks to get close as I can to the 80mm spindle. so since the spindle was roughly
    3.15" I had to find some spacers to fill the space to the 3.5" motor blocks. I did some research and found out that a
    schedule 40 3" aluminum pipe had an outside diameter of 3.5" and a internal diameter of 3.068" so i ordered a small
    pipe to try out. I decided to cut the pipe down to sections that way it would fit the diameter of the spindle better
    also i did not really want to try to grind the internal diameter to the 3.15". I also glued in the 2 back pieces of
    the pipe to the motor blocks so i did not have to fight with it mounting the spindle. On the 3 block and pipe
    it was somewhat tight so I had to grind down the back of motor blocks as they had a small raised section.
    I also had to grind down the 3rd piece of the pipe to give it some room to slide in between the motor block and spindle.

PRL_Spacer_Blocks.jpg
    PRL_Rear_Spacer_Blocks.jpg
    Spindle1.jpg
    Spindle2.jpg

here is a underneath view of the spindle mounted.

Spindle_mounted_underneath.jpg

Thanks
    James

Great job. Thank you for posting this.

Amphenol ecomate males an awesome 14ga set screw terminal plug and receptical if you want to ditch that chinese garbage solder plug they use.

I have been looking at doing the same thing for a while now and instead of using a conventional router mount I am going to mount it from the side so the top is not loaded and does not have to be thick to resist bending. The top will lift off and use location pins as well which could be handy.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening