Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro question, door related.

Yeah, it's not the best,but the roof and plumbing won't be the best either. Poplar varies a lot! Seen some that was so bad it was like giant strips of fried bacon. We have a local place that only buys from two Menonite mills, and it is great stuff.
    Flat,stable,with good full thickness. Do not buy based on lowest price!

Mel, this is all from southern Ill., Ind. Been buying from the same place for 20 years, LL Johnson, good stuff. The poplar that grows up here is useless, not even good for firewood. I have made a ton of interior doors out of this product with almost no callbacks, so with the west sealer coat I will be ok. Truck will be here today at three with a 2000 bf, so I am committed now.

Or, maybe I should be committed, I get confused.......

Blog Entries
    Lol, well at least take the door to other side of the truck. Make some hammer noises. Pull on the drill trigger a few times. Come back with a flat door!

i'm no door expert either, but built my share... the most stable doors i've made (screen doors included) are those that have a timberstrand core, veneered with whatever wood i want. the timberstrand simply doesn't move. poplar may not be the best choice for an exterior door, agreed, but a poplar veneer (show-sawn, 0.050" or so) epoxied onto timberstrand, i'd put my name behind that....

good luck....

--- dz

I have no idea how it will work but it sounds interesting! Like a truss rod on a guitar neck. Any way to get a T in there for stiffness? Can you get double acting truss rods in an 80" format? Sounds like a rough environment as far as heat, is stave core an option? Too late if wood is already in the shop, and bid price already set. Poplar can be fickle, failure rate isn't too bad on that volume, my thinking is bump in a few extra doors during construction, put it in the price, better if there were some place on site to store them!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I think I would do more than a few with the aluminum, to see how many of those need "adjustments".

I drive an hr & half to L.L. Johnson to get Alder. They give you a break if you get at least 100bf. With the savings I get checkers for the ride home.
    Last edited by Scott Austin; 06-21-2017 at 9:49 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Spec or no spec poplar is a very poor choice for these exterior doors. I live right next to Michigan and have used poplar outdoors. If the weather makes it past the finish you are cooked. I learned the hard way. Thought I could cheat, learned that I couldn't.

Chris, they are not really exterior doors in the strictest sense, they are inside when the outswing main doors are closed, so as such will not receive the worst of the weather. So most of the time, and all of the bad weather they are inside. These places are empty for most of the year. Door parts are all made now, did four with the aluminum insert just to see, as an experiment. Kinda hope they warp.

I had a disclaimer on my quote that was signed off on that Poplar was not my choice but rather that of the architect so I am good. Three inch main tenons, West System for assembly and sealing the end grain, I am confident that they will last longer than I am doing this for a living.

Peter. I hope all finds you well. Been a while...........

I'm alive and well, took some time off to focus on work/family etc. Hope all is well with you, sounds like a good piece of work.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Sounds like you have this under control Larry!