Thread: A Question a bout Forum Video Postings.

A Question a bout Forum Video Postings.

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but it relates to hand tools, in this instance.
    I have a Youtube channel on amateur woodworking. I do not present myself as anything more than that.
    I am posting a series of videos on building my first wood worker's bench, and would like to post them in a thread as I film them, documenting in video my bench build. Is this permissible and would there be any interest in this?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    This is probably the wrong place to ask, but it relates to hand tools, in this instance.
    I have a Youtube channel on amateur woodworking. I do not present myself as anything more than that.
    I am posting a series of videos on building my first wood worker's bench, and would like to post them in a thread as I film them, documenting in video my bench build. Is this permissible and would there be any interest in this?
    Thanks.
    I'd like to see the video's!

Mike, short answer is yes, YouTube links are allowed. Sending you a PM with the long answer.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks, Pat and Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Mike, short answer is yes, YouTube links are allowed. Sending you a PM with the long answer.
    Is this "long answer" available somewhere on SMC for the rest of us? I've considered posting some on spindle turning.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Is this "long answer" available somewhere on SMC for the rest of us? I've considered posting some on spindle turning.

JKJ
    John it can be extrapolated from the TOS:

Section E, 3. External Linking
    Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

We welcome WW videos as long as your videos are not promotional, i.e., ask people to subscribe to your channel, purchase products or services you may have for sale, have graphics with the intent to steer people to your personal website, etc.

Bruce
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yes, videos can be embedded. We only ask that they are not "selling something", as it were. That said, do keep in mind that we have many members who have less than optimal Internet access, so be sure to post still photos, too.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, videos can be embedded. We only ask that they are not "selling something", as it were. That said, do keep in mind that we have many members who have less than optimal Internet access, so be sure to post still photos, too.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Sure can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    ...We welcome WW videos as long as your videos are not promotional, i.e., ask people to subscribe to your channel, purchase products or services you may have for sale, have graphics with the intent to steer people to your personal website, etc.
    Thanks! I think I'm clear then, with no channel, no personal web site, and no products or services to sell.

JKJ

As Jim suggested there is an icon you can select when your creating a new post that will embed your YouTube video here. This is the preferred way to add videos.

Personal web sites are fine, the reason for not allowing commercial links is that you can get all the sales pitches you want anywhere on the Internet, people pushing their products and services. If we didn't have this policy every thread here would look like a highway full of tacky billboards and it would be difficult to find a woodworking discussion. We also are responsible to protect our own Sponsors from competitive advertisers here.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-15-2017 at 9:10 AM.