Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Bench Build- A Video Documentary Thread

Just an FYI for those who are following.
    My sister is coming in for a visit from Texas tomorrow, so I will be taking a break for about a week. Be back after she heads back home.
    Thanks for watching and commenting.

I don't envy the task of trying to flatten that top on that little workmate! Just a thought for you - maybe work better to slap together and use a couple saw horses - bet it will be more stable that way and make the planing a whole lot easier.

Thanks, Pat. That part is done, and I'll be moving on to the base next.
    There are some gaps in the top, but they only go about 1/4" at their deepest, and most nowhere near that. Just basically below the surface. I will be filling them with epoxy, I think. But the top is flat and done.

Part Six.

Nice sawing Mike and I bet you are glad to see that step in the rear view mirror. I don't mind the hand sawing, but it is good to be done with it.
    David

I agree with your comment about finishing the ends after attaching the top to the base. That will make a huge difference in effort and result. Keep plugging. I enjoy your videos!

Your bench top is coming out really nice Mike. All the hard work will surely be worth it in the end.
    Thanks for the posts and videos.

Thanks, gentlemen. I very much appreciate it.
    David, you'd better believe it. Definitely glad that part's over.
    I have been sawing the legs and cross members. That's going a lot better. Meh, part of hand work. No way out of it.
    Pat, I was actually able to push the top off to the side of the work mate and balance one end on the ground, the other on the edge of the workmate. It was stable and solid enough with that one end on the ground that I was able to plane those ends, and true up and square them and the sides to the top. Should have tried that to start with.
    Michael, I'm pretty pleased with it, especially for a first one. I have dropped it off of the workmate about three times, and it's holding together, so I'm happy, lol.
    Thank you all for watching.

Hi, gentlemen. Here's the latest installment in my bench build. It's coming along, slowly.

Had the time to work on my bench again. Pulled the tarp off the bench and found a lovely Black Widow to greet me. It met the end of a piece of scrap.
    Did not shoot video as I was finishing up the legs and cross members I started in the video below.

Making good progress, Mike! Congrats. And thanks for continuing to share videos of your progress.

Thank you, Rush!
    I got all the legs and cross members planed and squared today, except for the two long stringers that go front and back. Thunderstorm rolled in and I had to stop. But I'm almost ready to begin chopping mortises and cutting tenon.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 07-18-2017 at 7:25 PM.

Marching on Mike.
    David

Thanks, David. Most of the hard labor is done, unless the underside of the top moves before I join the base to it. Cross your fingers...and toes, lol.