Thread: Blast from the past

Blast from the past

Recently I got an email from someone who purchased one of my earliest "carvings " from nearly 30 years ago. At that time it was just a hobby and I only did birds ,decoys etc. which I sold through DU events. And being that they were done in Tupelo I never used chisels. Never had a dream of carving full time.
    This type of carving was quick little interpretive pieces as opposed to the highly detailed decoy/song/ birds of prey pieces I did.
    Here the head of the birds were detailed and painted but the body was turned into a swooping form in the effort to impart motion. Here an eagle is chasing a smaller bird and the driftwood has a vague image of an arm as well as finger almost pointing the way for the smaller bird to fly.
    I have no pic's of my own so I'm limited to these which the owner sent me as they were looking for info on the piece.
    They were a fun diversion, somewhat creative quick and profitable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 06-14-2017 at 3:46 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Saw the small bird right off ,but took some looking to find the speeding eagle. "It works" and with appropriate placement providing incidental viewing the chase will go on. Recently came accross the Ivory soap carving I did of the White House as an elementary school project...always an unpleasant encounter.

Thanks Mel. This is presentable. But seeing the very first piece I ever tried to carve is a hoot.
    The Woodworking Studio