Thread: titanium nitride coating

titanium nitride coating

My question is after doing a google search and calling p.s.i and getting no answer . Would the titanium nitride coating on the c series chucks(model# lcaljaws) prevent the staining you get when using steel jaws on wet oak? some chemical engineers out there got any ideas?

Concentrated lemon juice will remove the stains in seconds if you do it right after turning. If you wait a day or a week, it may take several applications. If you use a recess, you can stretch a nitrile glove over the chuck jaws, and could probably stretch one over a tenon as well. The gloves are thin enough that it doesn't usually get cut through when you clamp down.

robo hippy

Bulldog Chucks has a similar coating on their jaws. You might ask them.

In addition to nitrile gloves as mentioned by Reed, a circle of grocery bag works quite well to prevent rust and stains.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I've turned a lot of wet tannic Oak on those very T/N coated chuck jaws and have never experienced staining, so perhaps it works! However I will add that the coating isn't terribly durable, it has worn off on the mating surfaces so it probably won't make a difference in the long run. Personally I see the coating as a gimmick.

well I called chucks plus which makes the bulldog chucks and the owner said that he developed a alloy finish of zinc and copper for the prevention of staining. He said that mesquite is ten times worse than oak for tannins and his finish prevents discoloration and chuck corrosion. He also said that his chucks fit two model types of vicmark jaws. So if you had a vicmark chuck you could use his electro- plated jaws. I asked him if he would plate another manf. stuff with his formula and he said it would not be cost effective because due to the epa he has to have it done elsewhere(china?) I am still going to research a bit more.

I contacted a gun refinishing shop and explained what I had going on and he suggested stuff call cerakote . It is like a hard version of a powder coat with abrasion resistance additives . Has anyone have any experiences with this product , their web page makes it sound like it is maybe the ticket in this none designed application of a product.