Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Frog Position Question

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim

I would not post someone's PMs, even those of Stewie.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I assumed as much. Hence the wisecrack about hacking your PM archive.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Even though I have a knowledge and understanding of English as being overly polite and positive language, I oftentimes find my posts post-factum to be somewhat insulting and to be showstoppers. That is probably because of my overly self sarcastic Russian habit.

Stewie's avatar looks like picture of native Australian... and I couldn't blame natives to be angry, in the past of colonization. I think Stewie is a type of person that would not buy modern tools, thus more like "reactionist". It seems there is a reason behind using old tools but usually his posts are not very long to explain that and usually not very helpful to me. As to not very helpful in finding the whole truth or scientific knowledge. Some of his links to other resources I find very interesting, but that's it.

Regarding thick chipbreakers I want to try to cold blue my LV Custom chipbreaker, as David Weaver suggested in his recent video. For the reason of having better contrast with the face of iron when aiming for correct distance. After adding second bevel to chipbreaker and sharpening iron with ruler trick it is very hard to distinguish between two shining surfaces. Maybe somebody finds this useful.

Blog Entries
    Jim,

I am not at all surprised that we are in agreement on this.

Blog Entries
    It seems there is a reason behind using old tools
    Only speaking for myself, but my reason for using old tools is they are incredibly cheap when compared to a new tool. My most expensive Stanley bench plane, other than a #2, was $50 for a fully functioning #8. My #65 block plane was close to pristine at $65.

Besides, I have found much enjoyment in the time spent rehabilitating old plane. Have also found a bit of profit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

I've appreciated your spirit and posts over the last few years. Truly, you are a model for us as how to enjoy this hobby, and do so frugally. BUT YOU'VE GONE TO FAR, suggesting that we sell off all those amassed trophies of hunts, rehabs, and upgrades. Of all the things, to suggest that we could both gain profit and have less clutter in the shop.

BTW, congrats

Blog Entries
    Of all the things, to suggest that we could both gain profit and have less clutter in the shop.
    Thanks Archie, BTW, if you ever saw my shop you would know I could never be taken seriously as an advocate of "less clutter in the shop."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)