Thread: Wynn Filter vs Oneida Filter for V-3000

Wynn Filter vs Oneida Filter for V-3000

I have a V-3000 system that has been great for dust collection in my hobby woodshop. Put it in a "sound proof" closet which of course creates the problem of being out of sight and thereby forgetting to empty the bin on-time sometimes. It really is a pain to clean the filter!!! The system is 6+ years old and I am contemplating replacing and up grading the filter. Oneida's new nano filter comes thru at $340 and what appears to be closely equivalent the Wynn filter costs $205. Does anyone have any experience with these two filters to justify the price difference? Clean-ability and longevity are important to me. Wynn claims significantly greater surface area, but i remember a recent test in one of the WW magazines and the Oneida filter was the winner hands down. $135 is a lot of difference is it really worth it?
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 06-15-2017 at 9:11 AM. Reason: price correction

I would go by the surface area, testing criteria (MERV and micron rating) and comparative cost. I'm surprised to hear that an Oneida filter was better than a Wynn. Would be interesting to see the source of the claim? IME Oneida filters have a much smaller area and are significantly more expensive than Wynn - even for the same spec

The test was not filters per se but of complete cyclone units with the Oneida units filter being the best of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    The test was not filters per se but of complete cyclone units with the Oneida units filter being the best of the bunch.
    Is this the same "test" that showed Clear Vue as the worst performer?

It isn't fair to compare Clearvue with other manufacturers. Their product is a kit rather than a functional machine. The efficacy of the machine depends on who built it. I am not interested in any kind of kit built machinery with the possible exception of a larger CNC router.

I just bought the Winn replacement filter for my Oneida V-3000. My cyclone was about 8 years old and this is the first filter change I've done. The Winn filter is a little shorter so I needed to cut the threaded rod and needed to twist the little clips that hold the dish on the bottom but otherwise everything matched up well.

When I first turned on the machine with the Winn filter the added suction was noticeable. That could be because my old filter was pretty caked with dust. I did clean it with compressed air regularly but it never really seemed to get clean.

After the first few days using the new Winn filter I kicked myself for not changing it sooner.

Personally Id call both companies and ask them to explain to me why their respective products are better than the others for your V-3000. Then make your decision.

Then check this link out and build yourself the Oneida dust bin sensor (LINK) and their filter efficiency gauge (LINK). They are both very useful upgrades.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!