Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Walke Moore Router Plane opinions - Not so Happy with mine

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    In a private e-mail, Allen mentioned this: [snipped] This is probably the main issue.

Wait, are you posting something somebody told you in a private Email? Did you get permission to do that? If not then please consider deleting your post as that is unacceptable online etiquette.

Besides, if you're trying to defend W-M then from a pragmatic perspective your best move would have been to just let this thread die the death it so richly deserves.

OK, you win. I will no longer post. I'm obviously a horrible person.

It appears the OP sadly reached the same conclusion 15 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    It appears the OP sadly reached the same conclusion 15 days ago.
    That's OK, people can just keep reposting his Emails...

Sorry everyone for not checking the post for several days. I am still in a quandary as to whether to keep this gorgeous plane and try to improve upon the retention mechanism or contact W M. I never wanted anyone to get the impression that I had any qualms about contactics WM or that I did not think they would not take great care of me. Nor, did I dream there would be such controversy over my original post. My apologies to the group and to WM if my comments have been misconstrued as disparaging WM. That was never my intent. I do wish to continue to rationally discuss the design and potential improvements.

The wide Preston retention slot, the square blade stem, and the much larger bearing surface on the retention collar are heads and shoulders above the WM design from an engineering perspective. In addition, the columns are slightly tapered on the WM where as they are completely straight on the preston. The taper adds a bit of its own limitations. I am a bit surprised they changed the design to a less robust mechanism. I'll try to provide a few pictures of the mechanism details in a day or two.

Many Kind Regards
    Last edited by allen long; 07-01-2017 at 11:45 PM.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    ... My apologies ... to WM if my comments have been misconstrued as disparaging WM...

The wide Preston retention slot, the square blade stem, and the much larger bearing surface on the retention collar are heads and shoulders above the WM design... the columns are slightly tapered on the WM where as they are completely straight on the preston. The taper adds a bit of its own limitations. I am a bit surprised they changed the design to a less robust mechanism...
    Still sounds disparaging.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Sorry everyone for not checking the post for several days. I am still in a quandary as to whether to keep this gorgeous plane and try to improve upon the retention mechanism or contact W M. I never wanted anyone to get the impression that I had any qualms about contactics WM or that I did not think they would not take great care of me.
    If you have no qualms then why haven't you done it? IMO that would probably be a lot more fulfilling and productive than spending your time posting to SMC about it.

This whole thread is absurd, as it's based on an issue in a new tool that you haven't given the manufacturer an adequate opportunity to resolve. I understand (and actually tend to agree with) your point about the differences between the Preston and W-M mechanisms, but you still owe it to them to give them a chance to make it right regardless. Even ignoring those pseudo-ethical concerns, that's almost certainly your best move from a purely selfish perspective.

EDITED: Deleted pointlessly inflammatory bit.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 07-02-2017 at 3:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am a bit surprised they changed the design
    To me the design change does have some logic. The Preston blades are unique in the way the back lines up parallel to the blade's edge. Almost every other common router plane blade has a diamond cross section with a point of the diamond pointing toward the blade. This does have the advantage of a wide selection of blades one can find if WM is unable to produce a wide selection of blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great points Patrick.

My quandary is not over contacting WM. The quandary is that I love the looks and the chioice seems to be either get a refund or attempt to fashion a new mechanism myself. I will contact them first thing Monday, but I don't hold out for much hope that WM will have a sigificant fix other than WM refunding my money based on the current design. And I am not sure I want to go the way of a refund just yet. But perhaps they do have something up their sleeve other than hand filing a deeper notch in the collar. Personally think that route iwould be a bandaid fix.

Andy, I am not sure expressing surprise over a design choice rises to the level of a disparaging remark. Most of us at one time or another has been subjected to much more disparaging remarks on this forum.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Stepping on soapbox....

Friends, the OP has apologized and explained. While my views are different than his, I don't personally see ill-intent in his post now that he's explained. And we do allow discussion of design improvements here. Careful we don't drive the man off, like we have a couple others.

Ok. Stepping off the soapbox now.....
    Fred

Below is the original post, the highlighted text indicates to me that there was a conversation with the vendor and an attempt by Walke Moore to correct the problem.

This satisfies the requirement here to contact the vendor before publicly sharing a complaint.
    There is a rule that prohibits publicly sharing the contents of email and private messages. When this happens it is best that the issue is reported to myself or one of our Moderators so it can be handled privately rather than publicly challenging another Member.

Unfriendly behavior in this thread has now caused two people, at the very least, to stop posting which is no doubt a loss for the entire group. I'm not sure why such a large number of people who frequent this forum have to be so critical of others opinions. Note that this is not a problem in just this thread, it happens almost constantly in this Forum but is rarely an issue in any other area at SawMill Creek. It has become a problem managing this Forum as I have not been able to increase the number of Moderators or even maintain more then just one Moderator because nobody wants to have to referee such a large number of people whose egos exceed their sense of compassion for others.

Although disabling this Forum is an option it would be unfair to the large number of our Members who enjoy its content even though I expect they would prefer a more friendly atmosphere. We will be discussing our preventative and corrective options available to us in the Moderators Forum shortly. Anyone who has comments that would like to assist us with a resolution please send me a private message and include your constructive comments for consideration. I have no intention of punishing the masses for the sins of a few but the childish behavior that continues to haunt this Forum is over.

I purchased one of the Walke Moore Bronze Router Plane at the recent Handworks show. It is one gorgeous plan with a feature I really wanted that allows you to position the blade at one end.

I am pretty unhappy regarding the way the blade is held in place. The holder just doesn't seem to be able to secure the blade from moving/coming loose when any kind of pressure is applied as you are shaving the wood.

The great folks at Walke Moore attempted to correct this on the spot, but when I got it home, it still is an issue.

Anyone else with this plane have the same problem or suggestions?

I was going to offer my LV router plane for sale, but I am leaning toward getting rid of this and keeping my LV router plane (which breaks my heart.)

I have a piece of bronze I could attempt to fashion into a more robust holder, but I really shouldn't have to for a $300 plane. Nor, am I excited about modifying the plane itself to improve the bed on the plane that supports the blade column.

I could also come up with a way or sub-base for the LV router plane that would allow it to rout an unsupported board end.

Thoughts anyone?

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-02-2017 at 11:16 PM.