Thread: Pinie planes

Pinie planes

Two or three years ago I picked up a Narex chisel and a Pinie wooden rabbit plane in Prague CZ as souvenirs. I have since bought several more Narex chisels but never got the plane working. After spending some real time sharpening the plane and a learning little bit on how to adjust a wooden plane, I am getting it to shave nicely. Has anyone used Pinie planes on a regular basis? Also, are there any advantages to a wooden plane, other than being a real Neanderthal. If you Google Pinie tools you will find there simple website.

Blog Entries
    Some like the feel of wood on wood when using their planes. There is also a feeling that the wood sole works to burnish the workpiece that doesn't occur with a metal bodied plane.

For me the difference is mostly how the plane feels on the work. For many the difference in the "feedback" is enough to make a choice between a wood bodied plane or one with a metal body.

I think if we were trying to be real Neanderthals we would only use stone axes and other stone tools.

When we get to reality, it may be so much woodworking was being done by machines when this site was created that anyone using mostly hand tools was considered a throw back to the stone age.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Terrance

I have some of their planes but have not put them to work. I feel they have potential but have not yet used them. I hope to do so soon, but I'm not sure just when.

Wooden planes weigh a lot less than cast iron ones, and are less likely to do AS severe damage if dropped on your project. They slide more nicely, too. I used them for many years as necessary in the museum. But,I still use them because I just like to. And,I got to really enjoying setting the irons in wooden planes. It was also instructive for anyone in the constant audience we had in the shop.