Thread: Astounding video

Astounding video

I encourage you to look up "Woodswimmer" and watch the video. It is a stop-action video of slices of wood.

Here is a way to access it:

https://vimeo.com/196683500
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-17-2017 at 1:16 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. Wonder how he's cutting?

OK, now that blew my mind. I can't even imagine how many hours that took. He was asked in the comments how he did it, his response is very interesting.

The link showed a different video for me, but here is the link I found for Woodswimmer:

The original link above took me to a vimeo site that showed a trailer of a stop action futuristic robot movie. Interesting, but there were no comments attached for it, and I sure as heck wouldn't pay them $2 to watch their "movie".

Think vimeo may have their links all goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    The original link above took me to a vimeo site that showed a trailer of a stop action futuristic robot movie. Interesting, but there were no comments attached for it, and I sure as heck wouldn't pay them $2 to watch their "movie".

Think vimeo may have their links all goofy.
    Sorry guys, my bad. The link should be fine now. When I “fixed” Brian’s link I accidently copied the link that followed the Woodswimmers video.

Brian, for future reference videos like this are perfectly acceptable. There is no need to disable the link by inserting a “(dot) com."
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-17-2017 at 1:30 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow, it's hard to imagine the amount of work that went into making that video. Taking a small cut, then filming the cut - over and over again. Then editing the whole thing - just amazing.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That is just remarkable! I only wish I had that kind of patience.

That is incredible! It took me almost a minute to figure out what was going on. What artistry in wood.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Very cool! It reinforces the reality that the material we play with is not static and should not be treated nor presented as such.

Brian-many thanks for posting this - Bill

Blog Entries
    I can't imagine anything sharp and strong enough to cut thin slices across the grain that would make the cut ready to take a pic without sanding and polishing for every slice. Wow!
    NOW you tell me...

Some time back I saw a video ,sent by Stewie, that showed a new planer that removes wood in a solid sheet. Could that be a more dramatic view of the same capability?

I have seen this done a few times before. This is the best version of it so far. Pretty cool.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

there are a couple of piles of shavings, but no tools and no sawdust are shown anywhere that I could find. I'm not sure the surface has to be all that well finished

I wonder if it is only sanded.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!