Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What material will do this?

What material will do this?

I have a customer asking for instrument panels. They need to be black, engraved with white letters, then be able to be backlit for night time operation. So do they make a clear substrate with a white layer below a black layer? I have found all the two layer material, black on top, white once engraved, just not sure where/what to look for as an all in one material. Oh... it's supposed to be finished thickness of approximately 3/16".
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Tell him to call Bass Products.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Seriously? I ask about where to get the correct material and be able to do what my customer wants and you tell me to send him to another fabricator?
    Brian Lamb

Brian,

Gravograph has such a product for rotary engraving. I don't know if they have added laser sheet stock of same product.
    Product is called Gravoply 1 translucent Part # 17295

Try to get a sample piece from local supplier.

I have used it for signaling panels in buildings where back lighting would illuminate engraved names.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Blog Entries
    Could you use​ a reverse engravable that is clear matte and black on back? Gemini L000-106 is one. Light would only come thru when black was engraved.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

"Paint" some translucent white acrylic. You're just going to have to figure out what kind of "paint" fits the bill. You may even be able to get away with using regular old cast acrylic.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Tony, thanks, I'll look into that, they show it on the website for mechanical engraving, but maybe they have a laser version by now too.

John, the white needs to show well backlit or not, so not sure that will work.

Ross, that's probably the route we will take, he has already experimented with automotive paint on the clear substrate and then mechanically engraved. Just have to find out if the laser will cut the black paint and not leave any residue.

I was hoping I could use something called Laserlights (in my old Laserbits catalog) which is only .004" thick and laminate it to a sheet of clear, it comes with adhesive backing. Then laser the engraving and hopefully at just a couple thou thick it would be thin enough to light up when backlit. I haven't done much plastic engraving, mostly anodized aluminum, cermark and wood, so this is a new adventure....
    Brian Lamb

I did this for a car dash one time, and it seemed to work. I sprayed the clear cast acrylic with 2 coats of black, engraved the lettering and other graphics in reverse through the paint, then sprayed a light coat of white. I used Krylon for plastic.
    He used bright LEDs under it and said it worked, but I never saw it at night after he installed it. I was careful to engrave just through the paint and not deeply into the acrylic.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

this thread kicked on the ol' wayback machine--

This is some of New Hermes translucent black/white--
    tran1.jpgtran2.jpg

This sign is the very first thing I ever engraved with my brand new Concept 2000 when we got it- back in 1981! To engrave that sign the day before would've taken 2 or 3 hours, and no automatic line compression with a pantograph! The Concept took about 20 minutes from layout to done. It's been in that place on the wall for at least 25 years!
    I pulled it down just to take a pic of the back of it-- The funny part? It's the only thing I've ever made with translucent- (never had a call for it)

And even now, it still doesn't come in laserable form, at least not from NH/Gravograph... And, as you see in the pics, the white is readable but it isn't all that white, it pretty much needs to always be backlit-

Painting will work, it should engrave fine, just be sure to wet sand the plex with 400 so the paint will hang on good. My only concern would be the durability of the paint, resistance to scratches, etc.. using catalyzed auto paint should fix that issue, but I've never engraved thru good car paint so a test would be in order...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I find a good epoxy appliance paint to work well. Its very tough
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'd do that job with black/white Rowmark Laserlights material stuck onto clear acrylic.

The white layer in the Laserlights is so thin that the light will shine through easily.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Thanks for the confirmation of that, it was my first thought. I'll have to do some test pieces and see how well it works.
    Brian Lamb

Blog Entries
    Ok, engraved black top surface, white is behind, adhering with the preapplied adhesive to clear acrylic. Will light go through the adhesive layer ok? Or should you use plain sheet and strategically glue? Just wondering.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I don't know for sure, but most thin adhesive layers I have seen are clear-ish, so I doubt the adhesive will be an issue. I use a UHMW that is self adhesive and it's completely clear, the adhesive that is, the plastic is whitish/translucent.

I need some other items from Johnson Plastic next week anyway, so I'll order some to test with.
    Brian Lamb

It's been a while, had some power issues with my laser tube and it's out for a re-charge, but I got a loaner tube and ran a test on this instrument panel idea. I used some of the Laserlights black with white underneath and stuck that to some clear acrylic. Ran a little test today and pretty good results. Customer won't use it because he needs all edges covered so no light leaks from any of the edges. But if you had the need to make an instrument panel that could be backlit, this would work well.

This is back lit with a LED light

IMG_1870.jpg

This is in daylight, square at the top was my power grid test.

IMG_1872.jpg
    Brian Lamb