Thread: Went to see the US Marine Museum in Quantico, VA today

Blog Entries

Went to see the US Marine Museum in Quantico, VA today

It's just incredible. Just my opinion but I think it's of Smithsonian quality.

It's very large and full of exhibits. Takes at least a half day to cover it all.

Highly recommend it.

PHM

Oh Lucky you. I want to go so bad. Its on my bucket list. I hope to make it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    It's just incredible. Just my opinion but I think it's of Smithsonian quality.
    It's very large and full of exhibits. Takes at least a half day to cover it all.
    Highly recommend it.
    I'll bet that was great. I want to see it when I'm next in the area.

Ahh, are you sure it was a museum? I just read this the other day: https://xkcd.com/1850/

JKJ

I've been following it's progress, for what is it 12-15 years now? Even donated a few times. It would be a good trip can also visit "The Wall" again.
    Chet

Blog Entries
    I should have included a link to the museum in the 1st post:

http://www.usmcmuseum.com/

The attention to detail in the exhibits is just wonderful.

Several large pieces on display, Planes and Helicopters and Tanks.

PHM

I highly recommend it Bert. I have been several times. As a point of interest, each of the faces on each of the full sized mannequins in the displays and dioramas is a live face mask from a living active duty Marine. A warning for Marine grunt veterans though, the trip through the fuselage of the CH-46 can bring back some not so nice memories. As soon as I got into the fuselage with the vibration, rotor noise, and increased air temperature, the hair on my arms and the back of my next stood up, I started to sweat, and the memories of hot LZs came rushing back. Some of the other exhibits are equally evocative to combat vets so be prepared.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks Dave I really hope to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I highly recommend it Bert. I have been several times. As a point of interest, each of the faces on each of the full sized mannequins in the displays and dioramas is a live face mask from a living active duty Marine. A warning for Marine grunt veterans though, the trip through the fuselage of the CH-46 can bring back some not so nice memories. As soon as I got into the fuselage with the vibration, rotor noise, and increased air temperature, the hair on my arms and the back of my next stood up, I started to sweat, and the memories of hot LZs came rushing back. Some of the other exhibits are equally evocative to combat vets so be prepared.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I live just a couple miles from there and finally went a couple years ago. It's definitely a must see on any visitors list.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA