Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pump truck eticute

pump truck eticute

after many years of moving machines in different ways and mostly rolling on pipe im graduating to a pump truck. Looking at bases on the machines some of them have different stories and right off outside fork width will be a consideration. A few of them have feet of different sorts. It almost seems like you need a couple of widths of lift trucks. I wont pick up till tomorrow, auction thing so will see dimensions then.

The usual way you use these you have to block you machine up to get the hand truck under it. Are there issues with blocking placement at times verses the fork width. i guess coming in from the front would sold that issue as well.

I think a concrete pump truck is a bit overkill to move a Woodworking machine.

What are you referring to as a pump truck?

And do you mean Etiquette?

Pump truck: fire engine (pumper), "honey wagon" is a pumper, concrete delivery truck? Lift truck: fork lift, lift gate, back hoe? Need a little better description. Hope whatever it is, it works for you.

Think Warren means Pallet Jack :-). Warren, I believe there are at least two common sizes - narrow and "normal" and these come in different lengths. Here's a web page with the common dimensions https://www.uline.com/BL_1805/Uline-Pallet-Trucks

Warren, you will not regret having a "pump truck". Describes them pretty well actually. I have two, a narrow 21" and the other one 27" or so. The narrow one gets used more and some of the newer Euro machines take the narrow size. I keep most of my machines blocked up anyway. makes it easy to move them.

thanks yeah Pallet Jack, im not the best at choosing words at times brain thinks one thing fingers type a bit different. Will be nice to try moving a machine with something designed to do that.

I went on you tube and almost all stuff moved was on skids that wont be happening Thats a good point on keeping them blocked up. Ill have to see how thick the forks are, some machines I have up anyway as they were too low. Still plan on some type of vibration isolation for some of them probably read hockey pucks somewhere not sure how that would be or even if it will make a difference. Id think it would cut down on some mechanical sound transmission if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    thanks yeah Pallet Jack, im not the best at choosing words at times brain thinks one thing fingers type a bit different. Will be nice to try moving a machine with something designed to do that.

I went on you tube and almost all stuff moved was on skids that wont be happening Thats a good point on keeping them blocked up. Ill have to see how thick the forks are, some machines I have up anyway as they were too low. Still plan on some type of vibration isolation for some of them probably read hockey pucks somewhere not sure how that would be or even if it will make a difference. Id think it would cut down on some mechanical sound transmission if nothing else.
    Some people make a long pry bar to lift and block up one side of a heavy machine at a time, then slide a pallet jack under.

JKJ

I use a J bar or mule to lift heavy loads

You need just over 3" of clearance to get a pallet jack under something.
    I have a regular length narrow one, a regular length normal width one and a short narrow one. Short narrow one is the most handy, next to my forklift.

Agree with Joe and others - a Pallet Jack is very useful and can be stored under one of the machines if space is at a premium. Makes moving machines a doddle as long as the floor is relatively smooth and even. For machine mounts, I found McMaster-Carr had a good range of different types at reasonable prices

As was said, 21" or 27" width. The most important part of these, is how much or, how little finesse there is when lowering. I have half a dozen different ones around the shop, and some are terrible. You might as well drop the load with a few.
    Others have enough finesse you could lower 3000 lbs on an eggshell and not crack it.
    Test drives if/ when you can are good.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    As was said, 21" or 27" width. The most important part of these, is how much or, how little finesse there is when lowering. I have half a dozen different ones around the shop, and some are terrible. You might as well drop the load with a few.
    Others have enough finesse you could lower 3000 lbs on an eggshell and not crack it.
    Test drives if/ when you can are good.
    No need to test drive, buy a Crown.

I don't know if I have a crown at the shop, but my favorite among the bunch is a Clark.
    Sadly, it stopped working about a week ago, now I gotta find a repair guy. Bought it used about 12-15 years ago, owes me nothing though.

link below is interesting modification of standard pallet jack so it only needs 1/2" clearance underneath. My OTC engine hoist has the front legs on pivots so it can straddle bigger machines. If you are over 5'6" you would probably prefer you machines up 3.5" on a pallet anyway. Most Westerners are taller then they were 75 years ago when your machine design was set. We are also taller then the average Chinese person designing more modern machines.
    Bill

https://www.otctools.com/products/44...avy-duty-crane
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-19-2017 at 9:31 AM.

In the spirit of a pump truck my father told me they used fire hoses to lift multi ton magnets at work. just clamp the far end off and shove the empty hoses under the load. turn on the water and watch it lift the load. then insert wood blocks to hold it up until jacks can be inserted.
    Bill
    With the modern synthetic fire hose I do not think that fire departments replace their hoses as often as they used to. So there is less used hose floating around for jobs like this.