Thread: Must See TV

Must See TV

Thanks to YouTube user DarwinGarage and Michael for the D/L, I am adding this to my training sessions for new users. Hopefully this can prevent a similar event from happening.

https://youtu.be/D2xoxPlDnW4
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

WOW!! Thanks for that. Bit of an eyeopener...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Sad you don't have a video of a shop vac catching fire when used on a CNC Router. I have seen pictures in the past of shop vacs burning underneath a router. There are some threads here where Members shared their experiences with routers catching fire.

Keith...
    I have seen them burn, but never took a video. I did kick the stinky burning plastic out the shop door tho....
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

That will make me think twice next time I think about walking away from the machine. I have seen pictures of the aftermath of the homemade vacuum burning down, but not a fire quite like this.

Original video:
    https://youtu.be/6dg467-fPEQ?t=37

Looks like to me like
    * Poor clamping
    * Incorrect feeds/speeds/depth
    * lack of dust collection
    * Weak Z stepper that got overpowered, pulling the router down into the work, such that the collet was rubbing.

That being said, it's amazing how easily it spread to the swarf around the part!

In 7 years of CNC operation I've only smoked something 3 times:
    * Had VFD wired incorrectly, tried to run a job with the endmill running in reverse (certainly makes you hit the ESTOP fast!)
    * Moved house, did the same as above haha.
    * Z axis cable failure, kept running the job when the motor was rarely responding. Worse still, it had a drill bit in, so was dragging that around. The collet rubbing caused more smoke than the broken off drill bit though.

I'm always in the same room as the machine though... so the smell of smoke (even if its from wood twisting in the tablesaw) gets me going to look at the router and check.

The best thing about the video is the music. I giggle through the whole thing each time I see it.