Thread: Carved wooden pliers

Carved wooden pliers

Has anyone tried these clever pliers carved from one piece of wood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE3PBweDdFs

My friend John Lucas sent this link to me so I thought I'd try it tonight. I didn't have the right knife and didn't take the time to shape one so I used a #11 scalpel (broke two of them!)

This is my first try. I think I can do better.

Basswood, 1/2"x1/2"x4-1/2". Quick cell phone photos, poor lighting, sorry.

No blood was shed in the making of these pliers.

JKJ

I always make a few of these (mine don't look much better than yours) at Scout camp each year to amuse and amaze younger Scouts. I have seen examples that were highly detailed and made you think you could put them to work.

John,
    I stopped at the Warther Museum a number of years ago on one of my many trips from NC to MI and had the pleasure of meeting Mr. David Warther. He took the time to show me how he made these (and I watched very closely!!). As soon as I got home I ordered up some basswood and set to making them for all my friends. Mr. Warther has since passed away but I will always remember that visit - both for the opportunity to see such wonderful wood carvings as well as to learn something fun! I'll have to see if I still have any of them here...
    The pliers tree is truly amazing - 511 pairs of pliers from a single piece of wood!
    pliers-3.jpg
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

Good clean fun! I saw that picture - incredible.

I think the biggest issue is having a suitable knife. I first grabbed one of my chip-carving knives but it was not thin enough at the spine to plunge deep where needed. I may try regrind one and try a few more of these. I have a huge stock of northern basswood already. I'd like to get to where I could carve some quickly for kids and maybe get them interested in doing something that doesn't involve a screen!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schnorr View Post
    John,
    I stopped at the Warther Museum a number of years ago on one of my many trips from NC to MI and had the pleasure of meeting Mr. David Warther. He took the time to show me how he made these (and I watched very closely!!). As soon as I got home I ordered up some basswood and set to making them for all my friends. Mr. Warther has since passed away but I will always remember that visit - both for the opportunity to see such wonderful wood carvings as well as to learn something fun! I'll have to see if I still have any of them here...
    ]

David had a knife that Ernest (aka Mooney, his dad) built with removable blades. I use Xacto blades but they are pretty flexible so the cuts aren't as nice as I would like. Grinding your own would probably be the answer...
    3Pliers.jpg
    I even tried to make a more complicated version (3 pliers from one piece) but that's my limit I'm guessing...
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1