Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

19 June 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    It was Father's Day weekend and I was sure missing my dad. He was a good man and I loved him dearly. Now it's my turn I guess as my family loves me and appreciates what I do for them. It's funny how things change over time and many things aren't easy to adjust to while others we are glad "it's over". In short, I guess you can say that I'm still "learning".
    Had family over and celebrated together as a family. It was nice to be surrounded by family at the dinner table.
    I got the old chair frame repairs done and the LOML and I are now putting in new webbing, sewing in the springs and making ready for the LOML to do her sewing magic on the upholstery of the chair.

Back to the daily grind today and I'm working on 2 special projects that require 110% of my time, effort, and expertise. My hope is that I can make my 1 July deadline for both.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Friday evening and all day Saturday were spent moving the oldest girl into the house where she will live for the rest of her time in college (three years, we hope).

Sunday morning was church, and in the afternoon I did nothing. And that was enough.
    Chuck Taylor

Eclectic weekend as usual...errands, mowing, driveway reconditioning after a heavy storm, painting five hive boxes for the bees, re-organizing and labeling the fastener bins in my shop and a quick project to provide storage for a very large cutting board in the kitchen. It's too big to go in a cabinet, so it will live off the back of the island. The latter uses aluminum angle, a few pop rivets, two screws and some white paint. Oh, and celebrating Fathers Day...which this year means both girls will have attained "adulthood", oh my.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Annual Farm Day

Saturday was my annual Farm Day for the kindergarten class. Hay ride, pet an alpaca, touch a horse, look for eggs in the hen house, plant a bean in the garden, pick a blueberry, watch a llama get sheared - good fun!

FarmDay2017_IMG_20170617_113107_141.jpg FarmDay2017_IMG_20170617_115115_440.jpg FarmDay2017_IMG_20170617_115915_538.jpg

As for wood, I tried my hand at carving one of the little wooden pliers from a stick of basswood...

wood_pliers.jpg

... and cut some Cocobolo blanks for fidget spinners:

Fidget_blanks_IMG_20170618_200028_722.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    pick a blueberryJ
    Pick just one blueberry? Kindergarteners? Geepers...even adults don't have that kind of control!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My weekend was spent between 2 hockey rinks. My son was in a tournament playing for 2 teams and the weekend was hockey, hockey and wait for it more hockey.

Saturday was spent truck shopping. The night before we went online to check out listings and created a spreadsheet of ones we were interested in. Went to a three different dealerships on Saturday looking at them. Ended up buying a 2013 GMC. Spent a bit more than we budgeted, but justify it by saying we will keep it a couple of years longer...

Yesterday my daughter and her boyfriend came over for lunch, along with my grandson (his dad was sleeping after working nights) came over for lunch.

Then I put a coat of varnish on the cabinets and doors. And I made up some tint for a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Pick just one blueberry? Kindergarteners? Geepers...even adults don't have that kind of control!!
    For some reason I can control kindergartners better than adults!

I can't even control myself. A handful of blueberries in with bowl of cereal, more in yogurt, I love this time of year.

JKJ

Installed a new wood heater. It has twice the firebox of the old one. It puts out about twice the heat so it will be good for the rest of winter.

I also had a look under the house where I have a stash of Huon pine and black heart sassafras with a view to a new project. That's as far as I got when a plumbing problem had to be attended to.

Finished off downloading copies of Thomas Sheraton's "Cabinetmaker's and Upholster's Drawing Book in Four Parts" and Alice Hepplewhite's "Cabinetmaker and Upholster's Guide" for some light reading leading up to said new project. Cheers

Friday AM, went to chiropractor for pinched nerve in neck. As soon as he laid me down on bench, started heaving. Wife brought me home, and a few minutes later heaved again. Got to emergency room around 10:00 AM. After a couple cat scans, doc told me what I already knew. Pneumonia in left lung, pinched nerve in neck, and kidney stone on right side. Had to wait till 7:30 PM to be transported to main hospital (no bed.) Surgeon comes in and gives us the good word. Next morning (Saturday) he would put in stint from right kidney to bladder. Then the good news. Radiologist said it looked like I had cancer on right duct from kidney to bladder. Upon arriving at hospital, was put on two different antibiotics in my IV. Perkoset for pain, along with prednosone for pneumonia in left lung. Perk. worked on nerve for some relief. Stint placement went well. Got to come home Monday at lunch, but will have to go back and have both stint and stone removed. Most memorable Father's Day ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Friday AM, went to chiropractor for pinched nerve in neck. As soon as he laid me down on bench, started heaving. Wife brought me home, and a few minutes later heaved again. Got to emergency room around 10:00 AM. After a couple cat scans, doc told me what I already knew. Pneumonia in left lung, pinched nerve in neck, and kidney stone on right side. Had to wait till 7:30 PM to be transported to main hospital (no bed.) Surgeon comes in and gives us the good word. Next morning (Saturday) he would put in stint from right kidney to bladder. Then the good news. Radiologist said it looked like I had cancer on right duct from kidney to bladder. Upon arriving at hospital, was put on two different antibiotics in my IV. Perkoset for pain, along with prednosone for pneumonia in left lung. Perk. worked on nerve for some relief. Stint placement went well. Got to come home Monday at lunch, but will have to go back and have both stint and stone removed. Most memorable Father's Day ever!
    Zounds!! Sounds like you win the prize for the worst weekend. I'm thankful we live in a time and place with access to good medical doctors, medicines, and technology.

JKJ

Diann and I went to a vintage motorcycle rally Friday and Saturday. Normally we also stay until Sunday however this year our youngest is in hospital so we wanted to visit her.

That's how I spent Father's day, visiting the hospital and looking after her dog. I also realized that my father has been gone from my life for my years than he was in it, I still miss him though........Rod.