Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joining wood to make it longer for counter top

If you want to highlight the extensions, I might use a mortise/tenon as opposed to a straight butt joint. Still sandwich the boards together in a staggered pattern, but the joints will catch the eye more. If you really want to make it noticeable, make a mortise in each end and use a contrasting wood to create a tenon that fits in both ends of the butt joint. You'll end up with rectangles randomly placed throughout. Some people might dig that look.

I cant thank everyone enough for the input here. You have all given me plenty of info on how to do this. I will try to remember to post pics whenever this gets put together.

Thanks again

Sean

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    +1 on Staggered butt joints as the best application in this instance. Glue up your lengths 1st with a temporary cleat on the underside to hold it together while you glue up the top if you're uncomfortable with a lot of joints during a glue up.
    You should do a complete fit up and clamp up dry 1st though, mark it all with pencil lines, numbers, letters- what ever your favorite marking system is. Then just start gluing and placing the pieces where they need to be- a dead blow mallet is worth it's weight in gold here- clamp, let dry, scrape the glue, cut the ends, sand & finish. Easy peasy

19263966_10209847780007933_278224249_o.jpg

Here is one I did recently. Smallish, only 5' by 2'. I really enjoyed the process and since it was short enough, I had lumber that was full length.

Looks good Sean. What timber is it? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Looks good Sean. What timber is it? Cheers
    Walnut. I love the way it looks.