Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double barn doors

Hoang, I always enjoy your posts, and appreciate your craftsmanship. Thank you , Patrick

Thanks everyone for the kind words, they are always motivation for me to continue honing my skills.

Andrew, The wainscoting were put in by the builders and I would take a guess that they are about 5' tall. They wrap the entire foyer and dining room area. They aren't the best looking in the world but came as a standard package when we built the house.

Ceiling height is 9'. The office opening was suppose to be 8' to match the opening of the dining room across from it but I had them close it in to 6' with the provision of having barn doors put in. At 6' opening, the barn doors are already huge at 42"x95" so I can't image how big they'd be if the opening was left at 8' wide.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Nice job!

That's some humongous wainscoting. What is the height of the rail and the height of your ceiling?
    Adam, the bottom does have a guide. I routed a 1/4" groove through the bottom of the door with a slot cutter bit, stopping about 3" from each ends. Squared up the ends with a mortise chisel. There's a T shape guide that's screwed into the hardwood floors which the doors ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    did you guide the bottom in any way?

great work as usual.

I did notice you will need to move the electric sockets on each side of the doors. I would have put the diagonal in the corner but that's just me.

The electrical outlets won't need to be moved because they'll never be used. This is right next to the front door and I can't image anyone plugging anything in right there. At least we won't.

What diagonal in the corner are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I did notice you will need to move the electric sockets on each side of the doors. I would have put the diagonal in the corner but that's just me.

The diagonal abuts only one side of the corner. I just prefer the more balanced look where it abuts both sides of the corner.

The diagonals are only on one side by design. When the 2 doors come together, they form an X

That's the great thing about building your own furniture, you can design it however you like and this was our preference.

True, with the diagonal on both sides they only form an X with a square door. This gives your door the illusion of being closer to a square.