Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will you be buying your food online now @ Amazon?

Will you be buying your food online now @ Amazon?

I doubt very much that I will...

Some things, I just don't feel right about buying sight unseen & unsqueezed!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

So no mail order bride for you, I guess

��

Good one, Harold!

I could add something to this but I better not.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

There are supermarkets in my area that provides an online service for customers who place a grocery order and have it delivered to their cars in the parking lot when they come to pick up order. They never set foot inside store This concept has been picking up speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I doubt very much that I will...

Some things, I just don't feel right about buying sight unseen & unsqueezed!
    Uhmmm,,,,, No.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I buy some food goods from Amazon, mostly coffee. tea and spices, variety and cost is a clear winner through Amazon. The rest of my purchases come from local stores and will likely stay that way.

Amazon's proposed acquisition doesn't really change things relative to their online/pickup food offerings or Whole Foods operations, at least initially. You can already buy package goods from them and in some areas, fresh food is available for pickup at special designated locations. The Whole Foods acquisition is more of a move back into "brick and mortar" for Amazon, just as they've done by opening some B&M book stores as of late. Diversification, as it were. Long term, things may come together a bit. Some folks are saying that there's even a chance for "zero check out" setups which is an interesting concept, albeit not great for the labor situation for folks like my older daughter who work in grocery store settings for above minimum wage earnings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think the online order pick up at store is great. I hate shopping. My knee hurts so bad when I shop. There is no downside. They bring your order out and load it in the car for you. If theres a mix up its on them. If they didn't squeeze your mellon right, its on them.I get fresh fish and meat, deli meats and what ever and its always the way I like it. They have a note section when ordering. I tell them how thick to slice my cheese and meat. Its great!
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Nope, not a chance. There are some things I will only pick out by hand, food is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I think the online order pick up at store is great. I hate shopping. My knee hurts so bad when I shop. There is no downside. They bring your order out and load it in the car for you. If there's a mix up it's on them. If they didn't squeeze your melon right, it's on them. I get fresh fish and meat, deli meats and whatever and it's always the way I like it. They have a note section when ordering. I tell them how thick to slice my cheese and meat. Its great!
    Bert - are you talking about Whole Foods? Or some other grocery store?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Dry goods or 'manufactured' goods like cocoa or coffee, maybe. No B&M store can compete with with variety available on the likes of Amazon. Produce, meat, poultry? Unlikely. There are already lesser known services like Peapod whose trucks I occasionally see.

I will certainly look at some things and decide if it is worth it. Things like meat, fruits and vegetables will be a now.

I remember in the "Old Days" when you had home delivery service from the locally owned groceries, pharmacies and milk delivered from the local dairy. More households these days are single-occupancy and I can see where the home-bound (sick, too old, etc.) might appreciate home delivery.

Blog Entries
    As far as i know most of our groceries are bought at Wegmens (weekly) and Costco (every 2 or 3 weeks),

PHM