Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handtool Cabinet Hinge Advice

Handtool Cabinet Hinge Advice

Hi all,

I am building a handtool cabinet to store all my handtools and want to maximize the storage. It is very basic as I re purposed an old book shelf my grandfather built 60 years ago. I build the doors to store things like chisels, saws, marking tools, etc. It is pretty deep and I would like to have 3 "walls" of storage on each door. My trouble is how to store tools on the outside of the inside of the door (I'm not even sure that makes sense to me at this point but bear with me) The main part of the cabinet has tools that come all the way to the front so i need to inset that door a bit to accommodate. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated! The photo of the hinge below is my initial thought. (sorry the photo is sideways, not sure how to rotate it)

Thanks!
    Attachment 36237581IVkt3dDRL._SL1500_.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wish I understood what you are asking.

Tool box 6-19-17.JPG

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Piano hinges are whats needed. You would need at least five of what you have pictured and alignment would be a pain- plus the pins on those are kind of loose.

The unnecessarily complicated hinges shown will likely flex too much. Keep it simple. If there will be a lot of weight on the door use heavy duty hinges, whether butt or piano style.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

To make sure I have space I think I am going to use this idea. Ill add a piece of wood to the inside of the door so I can inset it a bit to give space for the tools on the outside. 011237032_hand-tool-cabinet-main.jpg

That last picture is a very nice design, Samuel. Notice the "beefy" hinges for the main doors...that's important. The hinged door inserts carry less weight and you can proportionally adjust the hinge weight accordingly. The only thing I don't like there is that the main hinges are one color and the others seem to be a different color...my anal side would have issue with that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, your monitor must be super high res. Looks to me like all the hinges are dark in color. I suppose its possible that the door hinges are black and the smaller interior ones oil rubbed bronze .

But, I certainly can't tell that from the pic.

That detail would bug me too. I am also assuming that anyone who spent the time making that cabinet with the curved spoke-shave holders, box joints, and figured drawer fronts would also make sure that the hinges matched pretty close in finish too ?

The smaller ones look lighter to me, Dave, but I certainly could be mistaken. (iMac monitor is 27-inch (2560 x 1440))
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim Becker: M. Pekovich in Fine Woodworking, #237, pp 32-39, built the cabinet in Post #5 from 7/8" thick stock- 13 7/8" deep, 28" wide, 42" tall. Plans available from FineWoodworking

If you're a member of Fine Woodworking's online site, you can view the multi-part video workshop for that tool cabinet. As Ray stated above, it belongs to Mike Pekovich and seems to be well thought out and attractive.

P. Mitchell is 'dead-nuts-on' about the build videos on the tool cabinet. The 15 part series on building the North Bennet Street School Toolbox is also very informative.

*Piano hinges*

ToolCabFin2.jpg

... but if you don't align all the slots on the screws Jim Becker's head will spin .

I prefer the beefy butt hinges -no good reason though other than aesthetics - and yes they should all be the same finish (installed with torx head screws to avoid the mental discombobulation ).
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thank for all the advice guys! I will post pics here when i complete it.

I installed piano hinges on the outsides of my tool cabinets and put sticky-back felt tape on the edges of the cabinet and the doors. The felt makes closing the doors much quieter and helps keep dust out. In my case, I made the cabinets out of maple plywood, so the tape also covered up the raw edges.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.