Thread: Bandwheel coming off lower wheel on Grizzly G0513X2

Bandwheel coming off lower wheel on Grizzly G0513X2

I was using my Grizzly G0513X2 with a 1/2" 3 TPI blade when the lower bandwheel came off. I loosen the blade and put the wheel back on, but after a few minutes it came off again. This is a new phenomenon for me with this saw. Does anyone have any thoughts on the source of this problem?

Just to be clear, is it the tire or the whole wheel that is coming off?

The tire has lost its elasticity. Time to either glue it on or replace it before it causes more damage.

How is the wheel secured? The bottom wheel on my 14" Delta Asian clone is held on by a screw and washer on the end of the shaft. My top wheel is held on by a nut on the end of the shaft. In either case if the wheel came off I would use Loktite on the threads to secure it.

Blog Entries
    I believe we'll find he is talking about the tire. Age, environment, type of use and tension-happy woodworkers can all effect tire life. My G0513X has been used several times a week for just shy of 10 years. I use steel blades and the flutter method. I use good DC and resaw to capacity about half the time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Band saw tires occasionally need to be replaced...for the reasons that Glenn mentions. It's an easy fix and not all that expensive, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I often get my terms mixed between my upright bandsaw and my horizontal sawmill. On the bandsaw they are called tires, on the the sawmill they are called bandwheels. Don't ask, I don't know. Blades on one are bands on the other, too.

I will call Grizzly and get a new set of "tires". The saw is less than 9 years old. Rarely used, less than once per week (but is a the best to have when I need it; not an ounce of buyers remorse here). It is in my relatively climate stable basement. I also use the flutter method for tensioning.

Anthony, there are plenty of nice aftermarket band saw tires available, too...you don't have to source them from the saw manufacturer if you don't want to.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am from the Caribbean and have to replace my tires every 2-3 years so you are doing well. Grizzly and aftermarket tires are available from Amazon.