Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: plow planes

Thanks for the elaboration Derek. Wow, that's a beauty. I have the small plow and the price of the Large plow was a deterrent but the new functionality is another consideration. I wonder if the conversion kit for the small plow plane would add similar functionality to the small plow? Any thoughts?

Might be time to buy a lottery ticket and sell some blood

Ralph, I have a Record 043, which is super cute and is functional for narrow grooves, but I'm saving for one of the LV planes. The dado capacity Derek just demonstrated has me leaning strongly toward the large LV....

Malcolm, can you elaborate on the blades that you purchased for the large LV? In other words, what's the whole kit and kaboodle look like?

Thanks,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Might be time to buy a lottery ticket and sell some blood

Ralph, I have a Record 043, which is super cute and is functional for narrow grooves, but I'm saving for one of the LV planes. The dado capacity Derek just demonstrated has me leaning strongly toward the large LV....

Malcolm, can you elaborate on the blades that you purchased for the large LV? In other words, what's the whole kit and kaboodle look like?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I already own the complete set for the small plow, so I was looking to get what I don't already have. This included larger beading blades and coves- I believe up to 1/2" I can't remember the details, and also a reeding blade. Again, I can't remember the exact details but they had 3 and 4 row reeding blades available. Everything happened so fast- my adrenaline was pumping- I just kept adding to the order. Nobody was there to stop me. Next thing I know, I'm handing my card over for $538. The rest is a blur.

Hmmm...about the same price a complete NIB Stanley No. 55 seems to run......the No.45 being about half that price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm...about the same price a complete NIB Stanley No. 55 seems to run......the No.45 being about half that price.
    The prices on used #45 and #55 planes are down from a few years ago. A couple of Wards Master #45 versions with blades recently sold on ebay for less than $100.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I also have the large LV plow coming when they release it. I believe Rob said they were shooting for Aug-Sept time frame. In anticipation, I picked up a set of cutters for a 55 so I could play around a bit with a bunch of options. I currently have the small plow and find it nice, but will likely end up with the large being the more used due to the additional features. If I were you, I would just wait a couple months and pick it up when it comes out as none of the feedback so far has been negative from those who tried it.

Blog Entries
    I picked up a set of cutters for a 55 so I could play around a bit with a bunch of options.
    If these are the standard plow and beading cutters they should be able to work. If they are some of the cutters for ogee and other shapes you may find they are not going to work well without having a height adjustable skate.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

As a price point, there were many new in the box Stanley 45s at the Midwest meet in the $200-250 range. I didn't see as many NIB 55s, but they were around $450. The prices have dropped on these planes. I use my 45 and 55 quite a bit. I never found either hard to set up or use. Having the cutter very sharp is the secret with any of those planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    As a price point, there were many new in the box Stanley 45s at the Midwest meet in the $200-250 range. I didn't see as many NIB 55s, but they were around $450. The prices have dropped on these planes. I use my 45 and 55 quite a bit. I never found either hard to set up or use. Having the cutter very sharp is the secret with any of those planes.
    Out of curiosity, are prices dropping in general or are the combo planes behaving differently for some reason?

I've felt for a number of years that the plane market had become a bit "overheated", though I admit to not having terrific context...

Malcolm,

What happened in Amana stays in Amana.

I'll be very curious to hear your impressions when you're able to compare side-by-side.

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    It seems the learning curve is a bit more intense on some of the combination planes. One of the hardest tricks to learn maybe how important sharpness is to good work. Next might be the bevel on the side of the blades and how the edge of the blade has to 'shadow' the skates. On the Veritas Small Plow Plane the position of the skate is set by the design of the skate. Me thinks the Large Plow might be different on this point.

The Veritas Small Plow Plane is easier to set up than a Stanley #45. Folks who are intimidated by the thought of opening the mouth on a bench plane will likely look at a vintage combination plane and panic over the multitude of "adjustments."

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Out of curiosity, are prices dropping in general or are the combo planes behaving differently for some reason?

I've felt for a number of years that the plane market had become a bit "overheated", though I admit to not having terrific context...
    I haven't been following the market as much as in the past.

Taking a quick look brought up this insane deal for a minimum bid of $100:

ANTIQUE, RARE EARLY BAILEY/STANLEY 10" Bedrock WOOD PLANE No Marks 602?
    Item no: 122553191598

Anyone hear of a !0" #602? When was that Bailey Bedrock made?

It looks to have a stamped steel frog. Someone might get burned on that one.

What I have noticed is ebay has changed over the years. It is no longer a place where someone could comb yard sales and flea markets to sell on ebay unless you are doing it full bore. I seldom see any decent planes starting at a decent price.

There is another plane, looks to be a #5, with an early Bedrock Lever cap. The rest of the plane looks like it might not be of Stanley production, certainly not a Bedrock. What a deal, it starts at 99 cents with shipping of only $22.40 from Farmington Minnesota.

Shipping is another factor in online sales. It costs more than some of my planes are worth to ship them across country.

Combination plane prices seem to have come into a more reasonable price range. Maybe all the people who were buying them to fill a spot on their mantel finally got one. Maybe trends have changed. Has steam punk decor gone out of vogue?

The other cause of a price drop may be the introduction of a modern plow plane.

For the folks who do not want to fuss over the troubles of buying, restoring, cleaning and using a vintage combination plane the Veritas Large Plow Plane may be just what the doctor ordered.

jtk

Hi Jim,
    While grooving is my intention I have used the 405 to make 2 dadoes and a couple of rabbets, that would be the.0.01%. I have a Record 043 I use for drawers and small boxes. I had a special iron made for the '1/4' plywood I use for bottoms.
    I think the 405 is too bulky for running grooves and my visual only impression of the small LV plow is that isn't much better than the 043. I have seen and held the LN plow plane and that is the one I would like but I'm not waiting for it. (it's been in development for 7+ years)

Hi Derek,
    I have the record 043 that I use for small things and I like it for that. Most of my larger grooves are for rails/stiles and 043 is too limited for doing them. The 405 is bigger and bulky and overkill for just doing grooves. Maybe I should just make your wooden plow plane.

Thanx for the link. It looks to be a very busy looking plow plane.

I missed Handworks this year (I went to 1 & 2). That looks to a bit complicated looking with a over abundance of knobs. Did you happen to notice if LN had their plow out for looking at?