Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: plow planes

Looking for something a bit less complicated looking like maybe the Stanley 46. This is the plane that Patrick Leach said was one of Stanley's finest offerings. I would like to hold the LV plow plane though but I'd have to go to Halifax to do that as it is the closest store to me.

Thanx for the comment. I really like LV tools except for the handles where I much prefer the Stanley look. Since I don't use the full capabilities of the 405 and just use it for grooving, maybe the small LV plow plane is what I should get. Grooves for stiles and rails is what I use the 405 for.

Hi Karl,
    I have the 043 for small stuff and use the 405 for grooving stiles and rails. It is all of what you said it is to set use etc etc. have wooden molders I use for l the other irons I have for the 405. I am looking for a single purpose plow for doing grooving for larger scale work. It looks 3 so far recommend the small LV plow.

Thanx for the input Ken. I am going to put the 405 up for sale and get something else. A Stanley 044 46 or a record equivalent. The small LV plow is getting high marks too.

Hi Kurt
    thanx for replying. After reading most of the responses, the LV small plow and the Stanley 46 44 seem to be the go to planes for grooving.

Thanx for the recommendation Ken. I couldn't wait to get the 405 and now it doesn't get used much because I look for something to use instead of it. The small LV plow is getting high marks. I'll have to ask Bill Rittner if he makes a Stanley replacement handle for it.

Are you married? Because you may be in the deep darkies when the bill or the tool comes. I am starting to lean in the direction of the small LV plane without all the extra irons. I want a single purpose tool to do grooves. Period.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    I missed Handworks this year (I went to 1 & 2). That looks to a bit complicated looking with a over abundance of knobs. Did you happen to notice if LN had their plow out for looking at?
    The LN plow was nowhere to be found. I was really hoping it would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    The LN plow was nowhere to be found. I was really hoping it would be there.
    I'm not surprised that they're going slow.

Plow/combo planes seem to benefit from a fair bit of iteration by the makers. IIRC the Veritas Small Plow was in test for quite a while before it went to market, and it has subsequently gone through a major update (thankfully with a retrofit package older versions).

I really like LV tools except for the handles where I much prefer the Stanley look.
    If Lee Valley (is Rob Lee listening?) would sell a bag of a dozen of those little metal brackets holding the handle to the frame, we could solve this issue ourselves.
    AKA - "The human termite"

11. Ralph:

I have a 405 and an 044; the 405 is a bit much for those box grooves at 1/4 inch. The 044 is smaller than the 405, but a lot more substantial than the 043 and does a very good job on box grooves, etc. Short and narrow grooves are it's best use. You really should take a look if you can. Mine works a wonder.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Stanley No. 45 was put to work tonight....took about...10 minutes to set up..
    IMG_0576 (640x480).jpg
    Goal was to cut a joint like this....
    IMG_0579 (640x480).jpg
    61" long, with a few knots in the way...
    IMG_0577 (640x480).jpg
    Suppose I could dig out a beading cutter to fancy the edge up.....maybe after Door#2 is done. This is the 1/2 lap where the two doors will meet.
    had to joint the edge, first..
    IMG_0570 (640x480).jpg
    The 45 just isn't long enough to use as a jointer plane, too. YMMV

Your last quip is too funny "the 45 isn't long enough to use as a jointer...."

Lol, yes. Happily. I am in a fortunate position because of early life thrift and a decent job. She is very supportive as it keeps me in shape and I'm not blowing the money instead on video games, eating out, jet skis, rims for the car, stereo equipment, beer etc. Love the term "deep darkies" though. I will have to use that. I think the small LV may be just what you need.
    Are you married? Because you may be in the deep darkies when the bill or the tool comes. I am starting to lean in the direction of the small LV plane without all the extra irons. I want a single purpose tool to do grooves. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    If Lee Valley (is Rob Lee listening?) would sell a bag of a dozen of those little metal brackets holding the handle to the frame, we could solve this issue ourselves.
    Always listening....

Cust service will be able to get parts to people who want to make their own handles - no problem!

Cheers -

Rob