Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What precautions should I take when building a bench that is 7 feet long?

I'm not sure if it was suggested have you considered two benches.I did the table and bench thing for someone last year we considered one long bench.
    Did you mention white Ash that will be nice.
    Heres my work in White pine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Nice work Andrew!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Owens View Post
    Thanks, Pat.

Would you suggest removing those smaller cross supports and replacing them with another full length long one? Or would it be better to put one cross support in the middle and a shorter long support on ether end? (Basically making an --|-- shape in the the middle) In either option, keeping the two outer aprons of course!
    Better option would be a long center (longitudinal ) support. The center one could be taller as well for added strength and stiffness and it won't be readily seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Better option would be a long center (longitudinal ) support. The center one could be taller as well for added strength and stiffness and it won't be readily seen.

OK. One more question for you . How would you suggest joining it? My first thought was just another tenon into the short aprons on the side. For reference, the aprons and this longitudinal support are a full 1" thick).

Actually, do I need to somehow re-enforce all the tenons in this thing?

Why not make the short apron 1.5 or 2 inches thick so that the tennon on the center support can be longer? Also the center support could be thicker than 1" as well.

I was just contemplating this. I think I'll do just that.

This sounds like obvious advice but make sure you can extract your newly built behemoth from your workshop. A friend of mine Julius Dorsey at Chicago Fire Furniture was commissioned to make a loong table for a family of 9. On day of delivery the table didn't fit in our oversized industrial elevator, extra roomy stairwell or even the wide window-frames on the 4th floor. quite an investment to dangle without damage anyways. So don't forget the third measurement - the way out!
    Trotec Speedy 360 80watt, Woodworking, screenprinting, paper marbling and an all around assortment of art supplies.
    I make art, my laser makes money. which i spend on art tools like lasers.
    MAKE it 'til you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Garrett View Post
    This sounds like obvious advice but make sure you can extract your newly built behemoth from your workshop. A friend of mine Julius Dorsey at Chicago Fire Furniture was commissioned to make a loong table for a family of 9. On day of delivery the table didn't fit in our oversized industrial elevator, extra roomy stairwell or even the wide window-frames on the 4th floor. quite an investment to dangle without damage anyways. So don't forget the third measurement - the way out!
    It just has to fit through my garage door . Good advice though. I'll have to check the width of my door!

Bench seating for anyone is a pain. Benches are miserable. They make criminals sit on benches while they await trial.

I can just picture 3 or 4 squirmy kids trying to figure out how to get seated. Then one standing up and pushing off on it.

It will make a nice plant stand for your wife though. . . .

A bench is fine for dining seating, but I would suggest you have a bench on only one side and it should seat only two people. You could make it long enough for three but three adults will not be happy using it. Two is fine. I have an arts and crafts table with a bench on one side and it works just fine. It is a backless bench. By the way, if you make a long table, be sure you can get it out of the basement shop. I cant get a sofa down my basement stairs and my friend has a new house and he can't get furniture into his basement due to turns in the staircase.

I have build low assemble table 5' long that is tested to hold at least around 400 lbs without visible difficulty:

Workbench base with coasters.jpg

Workbench base with coasters bottom.jpg

Actually, I was able to assemble another workbench on it (250 lbs plus myself standing on it). It has middle legs built in, but in reality they were not needed and not used (they don't have any coasters on them and do not touch the ground).

Legs are 3"x3" and top rail is 1-1/2"x3". Low rail does not have much stress and can be smaller, like 1-1/2"x1", or it can have arc shape. Or something similar to help leg and rail to hold 90 degree.

I used construction grade spruce or pine for it. Bridle joint turns out to be very good for high load. I used similar construction to build bench for bench drill press plus moving platform and counterweight for it. Should also hold 400 lbs when it's finished.

Added later: briddle joint also has two draw pegs in each and top is 1-1/4 MDF. Your size is similar to bed size. Look at beds design to assess structural strength.
    Last edited by Andrey Kharitonkin; 06-23-2017 at 4:33 AM.