Thread: DW705 Compound Miter Saw Problem

DW705 Compound Miter Saw Problem

I've recently acquired an old DW705 for a good price (free). It has a problem that I'd like some advice on. It seems that the blade brake is intermittent. Sometimes it works normally, sometimes the brake kicks in while the saw has spun down quite a ways, and sometimes it doesn't kick in at all.

Any suggestions?
    Wood'N'Scout

You're probably going to need a new field and or armature. They'll run you about $200

Possibly worn brushes or the switch.

The DW 705 uses an electrical brake to stop the motor. This is usually another winding in the motor that is connected to the primary motor windings when the switch is released. The primary motor becomes a generator because of the collapsing magnetic field in the primary windings. The electrical energy goes through the switch (and brushes) to the brake winding to slow or stop the motor. I'd inspect the brushes, and replace them if they are worn. If not, then I'd replace the switch since it controls the starting and stopping. If that fails to correct the problem, the only items left in the brake system are the field and armature.

I have 2 of them and both do the same thing. I just live with it.

Mine developed the same problem. It was the switch. There might be a second set of contacts or you can clean the contacts inside the switch. I don't know if there is a replacement switch currently available.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have 2 of them and both do the same thing. I just live with it.
    Me too. I was wondering about that problem.......

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I've recently acquired an old DW705 for a good price (free). It has a problem that I'd like some advice on. It seems that the blade brake is intermittent. Sometimes it works normally, sometimes the brake kicks in while the saw has spun down quite a ways, and sometimes it doesn't kick in at all.

Any suggestions?
    I have the same saw. It's a rock solid little bugger, but mine used to do that also.
    I just opened mine up and cleaned everything that was shiny and metal. There was a lot of dust debris in the motor. It hasn't dome it in a few years, but it is unnerving the first few times it does.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I have the same saw. It's a rock solid little bugger, but mine used to do that also.
    I just opened mine up and cleaned everything that was shiny and metal. There was a lot of dust debris in the motor. It hasn't dome it in a few years, but it is unnerving the first few times it does.
    switch available. soon

pricey though.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/swi...sf27a8ekjqa5i4

Mine does the same thing. On mine the brake had activated less and less until eventually the machine won't run at all. I finally traced it to a broken brush holder. It's a hairline fracture, hard to spot but enough to disable the tool. Can't tell you how long I've had the tool, it's a first generation, but I've had to replace the brush holders twice. Best I recall it's the same holder that broke, can't remember which one, but I replaced both holders and brushes at the same time. Other than that a very accurate and reliable saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    switch available. soon

pricey though.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/swi...sf27a8ekjqa5i4
    That's the whole kit. Dewalt's circular saws use same basic switch, with a different paddle. In the early years (1980's) we kept them on truck for our B&D Super Sawcats

Sorry about the delay in replying.....I finally got around to pulling the brushes, they were shot. I replaced them and the problem seemingly went away. I'm building a handicap ramp this week so the saw will get a good testing. It's a good thing the free saw seems to be working. My original saw, another DW705, is growling like a bearing is shot. I'll need to look at that problem when things calm down.
    Wood'N'Scout