Thread: I'm Serious about breathing clean air

I'm Serious about breathing clean air

Due to the kindness of my family members, my Father's Day was a blessed one [as usual ] I have had a Trend Airshield Pro for at least 5 years now, and since using it, my sinus issues have pretty much gone away......except for my usual pollen allergies. At least wood dust has not been causing any more of my formerly frequent sinus infections, as it did when I did not have a PAPR unit.

I decided to get another Trend AS Pro and keep my other one for a back up. I have 4 battery packs at present, two new in the box, so I am good to go there, and the new ASP comes with a battery and charger. I did put a Tennergy smart charger on my battery cradle to avoid frying the battery packs back a couple years ago.

I am in production mode at present, as I went back to a gallery I was at in 2015, and have been offered an additional display case at the front of the gallery near the front entrance, as well as the standard display area, and a few pedestal displays. I am making both medium sized bowls, smaller spindle items, and have had a few sales already since my return on June 1st.

While this may be considered by some as a gloat, I don't mean it as one. The occasion made me think of safety and I automatically thought of the turning community, and especially the newer turners among us. I want to encourage you to do all you can to protect your lungs...as you only get one set, and a number of woods are toxic when the dust is breathed into the lungs.

Amazon.com has the Trend ASP at a pretty good price right now, so that is another factor in me picking up an additional unit. I did not want to be without protection in case of mine going down. So far, I have not had any issues, but have gotten a new lens for the helmet, because of CA glue and finish that got splattered on my other one........simple replacement.

While I looked at a 3M Versaflo system, and it is nice, the $1700 price tag was a bit much to justify for my turning needs at present. The Trend ASP does a good job, providing one keeps the filters changed at appropriate intervals, and by and large, I am happy with my Trend unit.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I just started turning and use the Trend Airshield Pro also, along with using it for my other woodworking. Since I have a dust hood connected to my cyclone which draws a lot of the smaller dust particles away from the lathe, the Airshield does add an additional layer of protection. I wish the Airshield had a filter that was certified as HEPA though. It would make me feel even safer. Some people find it too heavy to wear for longer periods of time, but it doesn't really bother me over a 3 - 4 hour periods. I don't stay in my shop for much longer as woodworking is not my work, it's my enjoyment.

When I am turning something dry and especially when I'm sanding, I am concerned about the dust and its effect on my health. So, I have been adding layers of protection.

I have a 2 HP dust collector (vented outside) with a big gulp or a little gulp dust hood (the smaller one seems to be better at grabbing sanding dust). I also use a fan blowing the particles away from me (from behind) as well as a whole-house ceiling exhaust fan to suck up airborne particles that the DC missed. If I'm sanding I wear an N95 3M mask with purge valve or I hand-sand outside. I also have a home made air cleaner suspended from the ceiling blowing somewhat cleaner air over and around me. But I'm thinking of investing in the Trend Airshield as the next level of defense.

BTW, when I've been working with a wood such as cedar, I am pleasantly surprised that with the N95 mask in place I cannot smell the cedar. Apparently the particle or molecule size of the aromatic scent is too large to sneak past the mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    When I am turning something dry and especially when I'm sanding, I am concerned about the dust and its effect on my health. So, I have been adding layers of protection.

I have a 2 HP dust collector (vented outside) with a big gulp or a little gulp dust hood (the smaller one seems to be better at grabbing sanding dust). I also use a fan blowing the particles away from me (from behind) as well as a whole-house ceiling exhaust fan to suck up airborne particles that the DC missed. If I'm sanding I wear an N95 3M mask with purge valve or I hand-sand outside. I also have a home made air cleaner suspended from the ceiling blowing somewhat cleaner air over and around me. But I'm thinking of investing in the Trend Airshield as the next level of defense.

BTW, when I've been working with a wood such as cedar, I am pleasantly surprised that with the N95 mask in place I cannot smell the cedar. Apparently the particle or molecule size of the aromatic scent is too large to sneak past the mask.
    I also use multiple layers of dust collection........the 1200cfm DC unit runs when sanding. I use an overhead air cleaner located at the ceiling just behind my back as I stand at the lathe, and of course, the Trend Airshield Pro.

The unit came in about an hour or so ago, and I have the battery in the cradle charging now on my smart charger rigged charging system for the Trend ASPro. I am hoping that putting the battery on the smart charger from the outset will maximize the charging time, give me maximum charge but not overcharge it like when I got my first unit back 5 or so years ago. I fried the other batteries a bit by leaving them in the charge mode way too long but this should be better. The smart charger did restore the two battery packs a bit, as one of them only would last about 30 minutes before I got the smart charger. Now it will go about 4 or 5 hours, but after two hours I get that annoying beep!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!