Thread: That's a big wainscot panel

That's a big wainscot panel

Doing some wainscoting in a dining room. Wainscot will be 54" tall. This one wall panel is 15' long. Just primed it. Going to be installed tomorrow along with the rest of the panels.

Your workmanship is always stellar, Leo, and I enjoy every project you post! I hope you have a few extra hands to help move that sucker, too!

BTW, what's the story with the far right panel section in the upper corner? Enquiring minds want to know...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just a guess....stairway rail??
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

3 gang light switch that I couldn't move. So I didn't like it, but it is what it is. Got it installed today, but still have to do the cap and under cap molding. If I didn't have to cut out for all those electrical outlets, it would have been done much quicker.

First you gotta get it there. I have a wooden rack on the top of the drivers side box. I put 'L' brackets up there and screwed to the back of the panel. Then an angle brace to stabilize it along with a stiffener for the bottom of the panel sticking out the back end. The under window panel was laid down and strapped.

Got there at 11am, unloaded and brought the panels and the tools in. We were done installing the panels by 4pm. I forgot my router to do the end cut of the cap, so the day ended there. I was happy about that though.

You can see where the light switches go.

Always a pleasure to see your work, Leo. I see the screws at the top. Are they anchored in wood behind the wallboard, or just the wallboard? And how did you attach the panels to the wall at the bottom? I don't see any screws down near the floor.

John

The bottom of the panels are fastened using nails into the plate. The top is secured using screws into the studs. This gives me the ability to easily adjust the top straight so when I put the cap and under cap molding on I can control the margins between the two. Plus the under cap molding will hide the screws where the nails will be filled and painted over.

It's possible that there might be a baseboard that gets put on the bottom, the owner hasn't decided yet.

Did the panel install yesterday and did the cap and under cap molding today.

Oh, and the MW fits.

Really nice, Leo. Is there a built-in going in that wide niche in the one long wall?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks excellent Leo. No one is asking me but I'd nix the baseboard in favor a tall shoe mold. Try to keep the flats near symmetrical. The base board (temporarily set in place) crowds the panels to me eye. Looks like a great space.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Big hutch with tall glass door uppers will fill the space

The baseboard is getting cut down to 4 3/4". The lower flat is 5 3/4". They've decided to go with the molding. Outta my hands.

FWIW, I think the cut baseboard molding is going to add some needed heft to the bottom and look really good. Tall shoe would have been good, too. Definitely something though.

John

I'd rather see nothing.