Thread: Old Beaver Joiner Rebuild

Old Beaver Joiner Rebuild

im rebuilding this 1940's beaver 3800 jointer and thought id share the pics
    DSC00974.jpgDSC00973.jpgDSC00976.jpgDSC00977.jpgDSC00979.jpgDSC00981.jpg

its an unusual design, the cutterhead/pulley is one piece and there is no spindle. there are two tapered roller bearing on short arbors that slide into the base
    the fence is a really odd design, linkages, bushings and a big drum that rotates in the main fence casting

That looks like it's an interesting project and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i have one already, same machine in daily use. here's a picture of it. the new one will be very similar

P7230008m.jpg

my plan is to have two in operation, one for rough lumber, the other for finish cuts in figured wood, ie a light skim cut after thicknessing

i have a shop full of oldies, mostly 1940's and 50's and a couple of older ones including a 1915 bandsaw, its a crescent 20

Nice tool.

Relative to your plan to use one for "a light skim cut after thicknessing", the nature of a jointer puts you at risk of losing even thickness when you push the board across the cutter. A "lunchbox" planer with sharp knives and rubber rollers may be a better way to do that finishing cut, although you'll still have scalloping, even if small, from any rotating cutter. Only a sharp hand plane can give a smooth, glassy surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yeah i realize that the thickness may not stay consistant, but i can use a much slower feed rate than a planer, so its a tradeoff

the project continues, a stand built using beaver cast iron legs and plywood, reassemble the fence and other little bits.

DSC00985.jpgDSC00984.jpgDSC00986.jpgDSC00987.jpgDSC00989.jpgDSC00990.jpgDSC00991.jpg

a nd the stand started

DSC00994.jpgDSC00995.jpgDSC00996.jpg