Thread: Something I learned about the DeWalt 735 Planer

Something I learned about the DeWalt 735 Planer

Before I bought my planer, I did what I always do - read a lot of reviews. A common theme was snipe at either or both ends of the board that was planed. But it seemed that if the user supported the board going in and when coming out the snipe could be eliminated. I was getting snipe on almost every board no matter how I tried to support the board.

My main thing is model-building - particularly flying aircraft built from wood. I mostly scratch build but also build kits. I bring this up because I'm very exacting in my building. But the smaller wood sizes make a lot of things easier such as jointing the wood. I can use a sanding block, a razor plane or a razor knife and straightedge (which usually still needs final touches with a sanding block).

I don't have a woodworking bench and the first time I tried to plane something long was pure misery. I concocted all kinds of ways to hold the thing including shoving it up against a concrete step in my shop to act as a stop. The opposite end kept lifting as I was planing and the results are what you would imagine.

So I've put a lot of non-jointed wood through my planer and I've gotten a lot of snipe. For shop stuff I usually work with kiln-dried pine 2X material and cabinet ply. I've yet to build anything from hardwood beyond small items like slingshots and small tools.

OK, so what's this all about? Well, my current project is that chemical cabinet I talked about in another thread. I decided to see what I could really do if I were motivated. So it took me two solid weeks to joint all the wood. After that I fed it through my planer. Out of 48 pieces, only three or four had snipe.

My conclusion (which could be wrong) is that the reason I got so much snipe before was because I was sending bowed and twisted wood through the planer. So I'm wondering if this planer is getting a bad rap because it's getting fed wood that isn't ready to be planed.

If I find out anything else I'll let you know.

There are many reasons for snipe, but what you mention (non-flat lumber issues) clearly are on that list...and something under the woodworker's control. One of the reasons that you see more and more folks embracing J/P combos that offer wider jointing capacities is the ability to flatten most lumber as a first step in the milling process. Regardless of the tools, however, getting one side flat before you thickness is a great "best practice" and as you have found out, beneficial for subsequent milling steps.

The nature of the smaller work that you do certainly amplifies any errors (snipe) more than it would for larger projects and who wants to waste material by putting a few extra inches on both ends of a workpiece? Flattening/Face-jointing can help.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-21-2017 at 9:35 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What's funny about all of this is that so far I've never used boards more than 5" wide for anything. I have an old Craftsman jointer that a friend of mine got from a neighbor who was throwing it out. I bought new knives for it and a new belt. It's covered in rust (but it's not orange). It does run - that was the first thing I checked after making sure nothing was binding or going to get sucked into the knives.

All I need to do is get motivated to clean it up and put the new parts on. I've never used a jointer and I have a very low tolerance for frustration. What's holding me back is setting up the knives, not the clean up.

But all that effort I put into jointing that pine could have gotten my jointer working several times over (I think). This is one of those times I'd love to know a woodworker who lives close by and knows what he's doing.

By the way, I haven't use the planer for small parts unless I was planing down a whole board that I would cut the small parts from. The shortest piece I've put through it was about 24".

Setting knifes is not difficult, here's a oldie but goodie video that covers the basics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnrWOwun68

If you don't have a dial indicator here's a $20 kit that will be more than adequate for setting up your jointer or anything else around your shop.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magn...or-Combo/G9849

As with anything, the first time is going to take a while so plan on it. After you do it a few times it's quick and easy.
    Mike

Thanks. I've actually watched that video three or four times. I also have several dial indicators and bases. I'm a procrastinator at heart. I'm sure I can do this and end up with a good result. I just need to get off my ass and get to it.

Snipe is a big topic. First thing, is normally you flatten a board before planing it. A planer does nothing more that dimension and make two parallel surfaces. If cupped going in it will be cupped coming out. You can do sleds to make it be a jointer but that's a whole separate topic.

Snipe can happen from several things. One being tension on the infeed/outfeed rollers. If you have rollers underneath the material that can be an issue. A lot can be had from processing technique. If you feed the material through and lift up on the end it will happen, or if you lift up on the piece as it exits the outfeed side you can cause it.

Most cases, its something to live with. You can minimize. If you are feeding in multiple pieces and have some scrap you can send in before and after your "real" piece, that will support the rollers as well.

Also, and in my case was My early issue with my makita 2012 lunchbox planer, it was a case of the supporting in/out tables were not flat to the bed under the cutter head. I adjusted that and mines pretty much gone.

I just put into production my Powermatic 209hh and have been having a bit of a time getting it completely out. I've got it down to a whisper, by adjusting my in/out tables and by lowering my rollers in the base, down to .001 above the surface. Not perfect, but I don't consider the planer final finish anyway, so I usually either just whack it off as I will only have one end of one board with it (putting a supporting board behind), its not that big a deal. You can go nuts getting it absolutely perfect.

I'm curious, why you are not flattening prior to planing? Are you skiff planing, or doing the flattening after the fact?

I don't know what skiff planing is. The reason I haven't been jointing the wood is because what I've built is very utilitarian - tool carts and such. Well, that's not the actual reason, it's just why it doesn't matter that much. The reason is because I don't have a woodworking bench and finding ways to hold things so I can plane them requires a lot of jury-rigging and it hasn't been very secure so my work is moving around while I'm trying to work on it.

So I spend a lot of time picking out the best material and then join it together using brute force, glue and screws.

I finally got something put together so I can hold things in a way that they won't move. Still not great because my bench is too high as it is and my fix raises the work up another 4". My bench is for model-building. It's a 1/2" x 4' x 8' piece of tempered glass.

I think I got it. Are you hand planing the surfaces of the boards? So that is why you haven't been flattening them?

One thing I just noticed on my planer, in fact last night, was that the snipe was reduced if not removed after I waxed the bed. The last few times I used it, I noticed the boards needed a bit of a pull to keep things going through. So I grabbed the can of paste wax and waxed up the bed along with the infeed and outfeed tables. Last night I put the first boards through after doing that. And realized that there was virtually no snipe.

But I did flatten one side on the jointer before hand. And now they are stickered on the table saw waiting to be glued up tonight. That's another thing I have found. Leave them to stabilize a bit before you glue them up.

Yes, hand planing and my largest plane is a Veritas 5-1/4 (5-1/2?). A jointer plane is the next on my list and hopefully the last plane I buy.

So the other thing that happened was after I jointed all these boards (if you recall it was two weeks and three 30 gallon trash cans of shavings), I put them through the planer the day after I finished jointing. Then they all bowed again. And I'm using them like that. They're still straighter than anything I've used in the past.

I bought the wood and it was only in my shop two days before I started planing it. Normally I like to acclimatize wood for six months before using it.

One of the big things that helped me with the DW735 was adding the extension infeed/outfeed tables. I've been able to get much better results that way.

That's a nice looking assembly table I can appreciate you need for a flat reference surface.I like having one myself.
    I also think your going to be really pleased when you start working with jointed boards.A square edge and a flat face gets things started right and makes life easier.When our attitude improves so does our work.
    If that craftsman jointer has a fixed outfeed table get rid of it fast.I had one for years it's not worth the trouble.
    Good luck
    Aj

All that talk I read about setting knives on the jointer. Dial indicators, fancy magnetic doodads, and on and on. Fooie.

I had a Craftsman 6" jointer/planer (their name, not mine) and replaced it with a Delta DJ-20 many, many years ago. What do I use to set the knives to correct height after I take them out for sharpening? Nothing more than my 12" metal rule. After replacing the knives in the cutter head I stand the rule on edge on the outfeed table and project it over the cutter head. Then in 2 or 3 places from front to back I rock the head back 'n forth looking for barest, slightest touch of the knife to the steel rule. The DJ-20 has 3 knives. The process takes me no more than 15 to 20 minutes. Done.

The point here isn't that what I do is any better than anyone else - it's that complicated setups and expensive jigs or measuring devices (I have them too if I want) aren't needed.
    Last edited by John Piwaron; 06-22-2017 at 9:21 AM.