Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you all use to make a custom router bit?

What do you all use to make a custom router bit?

I've got a dining table I need to make a leaf for, and I can't find a router bit anywhere which is the perfect one, or even half close for that matter. I've heard of making custom bits but searching on Google isn't leading me where I want to go. What do you all use?
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

I would farm it out to a company that does this for a living. Not worth it trying to make your own.
    Bill

farm it out to a company? You mean, farm out the custom router bit, or farm out the leaf? If the latter, that's not an option because I already sold the job.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Sorry that I cannot answer your question, but, given the lack of replies...... I did not know that you could even make your own router bit.

If I needed to do this I would either (1) try to do it in multiple passes with different router bits or (2) use a custom cutter on a molding plane.

Interested to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Sorry that I cannot answer your question, but, given the lack of replies...... I did not know that you could even make your own router bit.

If I needed to do this I would either (1) try to do it in multiple passes with different router bits or (2) use a custom cutter on a molding plane.

Interested to see what you come up with.

There *is* a tool. I've seen it. It's a half inch shank router bit and you basically slide scratch stock into the center and it is secured with a couple set screws.
    --

Fine Woodworking Making and Modifying Machines available used on Amazon for $2 has a couple of articles that would be of interest.

My choices in descending order would be a custom shaper cutter in an insert head, table saw molding head/custom cutter, modifying a off the shelf HSS router bit, and finally a custom router bit. I use O-1 steel for smaller cutters and brazed HSS for larger bits.
    Larry

I sketch what I need and sit down with the shop that does my sharpening. He refines the drawing and makes the custom bit that I need
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Amana makes router bits with inserts. Possibly you could work with them to achieve the bit profile you want.

Whiteside will make custom router bits. I would try to come up with an accurate profile drawing before contacting Whiteside. If you can place a piece of paper with a backer in the joint where the leaves get inserted, and then with a very sharp or mechanical pencil, trace the table edge shape onto the paper, this should give you a good place to start working with them. Some accurate measurements on this drawing would help too.

I have never tried either way. Just passing along what I've heard.

Charley

Sometimes you can just use more than one existing bit to make what you want.

There are tool steel blanks with 1/2" shanks.

I'm assuming you've seen drop-leaf router bit sets. If not then they do exist. I think Rockler might carry it. I know MLCS has them but they're probably crap manufactured overseas. If you just need to use it once or twice then I'm sure it would be fine.

Mike, posting the profile of what you need would help.

Are you making one leaf to match an existing table? If so, you probably will only need to cut 3-4 foot of material?

The quickest solution would be to make a profile scraper out of spring steel (similar to a card or cabinet scraper).

Southeast Tool sells router bit blanks designed to have carbide brazed to but, for short runs, the steel could be cut to your desired shape either by you or professionally. Mind the clearance angles if you do it yourself.

To have a custom router bit made would probably be in the $120-170 range and 1-3 weeks.
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

I'm thinking the same as Matt.My guess is your trying to make a Rule joint -the -King of joints!
    Aj

I'm not sure if you can even find a steel rabbet bit any more but I worked with a guy who ground those to make custom profiles. He used a 1/4" wide white wheel on the bench grinder and an abrasive wheel in a Dremel .