Thread: Ceremonial coin holder in Walnut

Ceremonial coin holder in Walnut

I was asked to build 10 ceremonial coin holders in Walnut and these will be used for going away gifts. The blanks will be laser engraved with the recipient's info as needed. These are not complicated at all but I thought it would be neat to video the light production on the CNC. The CNC only represents a very small step of the build process but it was fun so I posted the video.

The bulk of the machining was on the table saw but I also used the planer, drum sander, jointer, router table, and stationary belt sander. These are finished with one coat of sanding sealer and one coat of gloss Nitrocellulose lacquer. The top piece is held in place with two #10 biscuits and a screw and the slanted face is cut on a 25° angle. The base is 4" x 8" and the top piece is 1.5" high x 7" long. The slots were cut with a 1/8" spiral downcut bit at 18,000 rpm at 100 ipm feed rate. I don't have a flat bottom blade for the table saw and wasn't going to buy one for this job so that made it an easy call to use the CNC for the slots. To help the laser shop on the engraving process I built a simple fixture to hold the top piece front slant level in their machine.

Short video on cutting the slots -

Enjoy!
    David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

That's a great shaggy dog for the shop! I would have used a dado blade to cut the grooves in a long piece and then cut them to length. The bottom of your groove may be a little flatter. Your simple shapes are well finished and nicely made.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    That's a great shaggy dog for the shop! I would have used a dado blade to cut the grooves in a long piece and then cut them to length. The bottom of your groove may be a little flatter. Your simple shapes are well finished and nicely made.
    If I get orders for more that's probably the way I'll do it. I contemplated doing that to start with but I don't have a flat bottom blade and wasn't going to buy one for these 10 little pieces. The bottom may be flatter this way but the sides will be cleaner with a saw blade. The 1/8" end mill leaves the sides a tiny bit fuzzy so they needed sanding, one extra step that was no fun at all.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram