Thread: Now that's a shaving

Blog Entries

Now that's a shaving

Anyone want to try to beat the size of this shaving?

Shaving
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bet Brian H would (or already has) drool if he saw that. I wonder what the timber they are planning on costs? And how about flattening the back of that iron? Then get after the bevel when you have the back sorted out. Or has George already been there, done that and has the T-shirt?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I bet Brian H would (or already has) drool if he saw that. I wonder what the timber they are planning on costs? And how about flattening the back of that iron? Then get after the bevel when you have the back sorted out. Or has George already been there, done that and has the T-shirt?
    Pretty sure Brian has already seen similar. 

Flattening the ura = ceramic plate.

BTW, the last grit the wide blade was finished on was probably 6,000~8,000 grit, not 15,000 grit. Think about that next time you buy an expensive sharpening stone.

Don't know when the carpentry portions of the video were filmed, but the structure of neither house is legal under current building codes. Too many earthquakes, too many lives.

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 06-21-2017 at 8:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Those big planes are something, Jim Blauvelt brought one to Kez NYC last year and I got to take a shaving with it. It takes a real effort to pull.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Stanley - what size would the ceramic plate used for flattening the ura typically be? Good info that the final sharpening most likely 6,000 - 8,000 grit. I have 1,000, 6,000 and 13,000 grit waterstones but quite often just use the 6,000 only to quickly refresh my chisels during use with harder woods and don't see any downside to this.

Brian: does that competition use some type of Alaskan cedar(?) for the contest? Or at any rate, what does the competition wood generally cost? As I recall, you had to source something for setup/practice before jumping into it last year, correct?
    David

Blog Entries
    We used yellow cedar last year and I believe they will again. I believe that either yellow cedar and hinoki cypress are the woods most commonly used since port orford cedar is so hard to find. It has to be a very fine grained wood to take such a thin long shaving without disintegrating.

I have a lot of yellow cedar now since my local yard started carrying it and I stock it for building shoji. I have a very hard time resisting the purchase of true vertical grain woods, since I now see how rare that stuff is.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 06-22-2017 at 9:04 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.