Thread: Current Home Project

Current Home Project

Here is a project that I have been poking at for almost a couple years now. Designed with the commercial user or discriminating high end hobbyist in mind, it uses HIWIN precision ground ballscrews pushed by 1200 ozin 3 phase closed loop easy servos. .000016 step resolution and over 6K ozin torque at the gantry. Acceleration (to be tested) in the 1800-2000 ipm/sec range

24 by 36 cutting area with a 5 or 6 tool ATC. Air operated, slide away tool rack and a few other goodies to come in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

A few more shots as I wait for the spindle. I'm trying to get rid of the background clutter with a pseudo photo backdrop
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Looks like a heck of a build Gary. Hard to imagine all that power and speed in such a small package.

Mark...
    I was designed with manufacturing use, where floor space is at a premium, or the discriminating high end hobbyist in mind. Over 8000 resolution at 1/4 steps and repeatable moves on the USB microscope of under 1/2 a thousandth. The extra power ensures that there is enough to push against the tight tolerance linear bearings and move at speeds you can make a dollar with.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

It certainly is a fascinating build, Gary. Can't wait to see video of it in action!

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

David, et al...
    I got busy for a while and had to set this build aside. Finally got back to getting the tool rack and spindle mounted and the macros written. This video shows a test run of some of those macros. The laser pointer (XYzero), toolchanges, tool measure and dustfoot interaction with all of the above. Ive cut a few small piece, but mostly parts for the grid table system. Speeds are reduced until I have full confidence in these mostly untested macros.

Table is aluminum with a grid of tapped holes on 3" centers. Table bolts, clamps, alignment jigs and maybe even some vacuum pucks are all intended to mount in various locations. A 3/4" MDF spoilboard with oversized holes is bolted over the aluminum.

https://youtu.be/yszA3dqHn-0

More to come!
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

That is slicker than stewed oysters!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That really is nice and slick, Gary! How much of the mechanism we're seeing in the video is homegrown? What about the dust shoe? I've been thinking about making one similar but if it is readily available I may just buy one.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

David...
    I guess I would have to say it's all homegrown. Of course the cylinders, fittings and numerous other products are purchased, but all other components of the machine, sans the frame, have been made in my shop on my "daily driver" a converted Bridgeport Series ll Special Edition. In the past I used my current machine to cut the parts for its successor. The mill broke that chain.

A few shots of that machine here in the archives: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Latest-Project
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Last look at this one before it goes to its new home. Owner requested a 6 tool changer, so this video shows those changes along with some of the other features: https://youtu.be/qtzkAExTA00
    Last edited by Gary Campbell; 10-14-2017 at 9:34 PM.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Beautiful build, a techies dream machine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney