Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Credit card question

I pay a transaction fee and a percentage of the sale when my customer uses a credit card. As for myself, I pay mine off every month and accrue 1% in rebates.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I guess I'm a deadbeat...no balances. 850 credit score. I rarely carry a balance and in those few instances where it's occurred, it was a major purchase with a planed payment over say, two months or three months on purpose for budgetary reasons. (by example, I split our whole house generator over two payments and gained a boatload of points that pretty much covered the little bit of one month interest on half the balance)
    This is pretty much our mentality too. We'll occasionally use one of the 0% interest deals for a major purchase and just divide the balance by 18 or whatever. We put everything from gas to groceries to any bills we can on our Costco card. With a major family vacation and my 3rd work trip of the year coming up we have a HUGE rebate coming next year. The only thing that doesn't go on there is Amazon--got the store card for that recently since the % back is higher, and you get to use it against the balance immediately.

who cares. Just as long as they are not making from me.
    John T.

I have a friend who runs a truck fleet on credit cards, everything goes on them and he reckons he has enough FF points for him and his wife to fly 1st class around the world half a dozen times. I simplified mine by having an automatic payment pay the required balance on the due date.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    The credit card companies are much happier with their customers who don't pay off their balance each month; I think they make their real money from the interest charges.
    I think the CC companies make around 2.5% on the transaction if you pay the balance right away. Assume that there is a 3 week delay from the end of the cycle until the bill is due. Some of the money has been loaned out for as long as 7 weeks and some has only been loaned out for 3 weeks. They are earning over 18% annually on the balance that is 7 weeks old and 43% on the 3 week old balance. That is a really good rate of return.

If the customer keeps the balance, then the CC company makes even more money.

Steve

You need a better credit card if they are charging you interest before the next billing cycle even if you pay that balance in full by the due date.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    You need a better credit card if they are charging you interest before the next billing cycle even if you pay that balance in full by the due date.
    I thought he was referring not to interest but to the transaction fee charged the merchant, considering it as if it were an annual percentage on an extremely short loan.

JKJ

Ah, I read it as interest the consumer was paying. I think there are cards that do, probably in the "predatory" category.

I owned and ran a small business for five years. We charged a monthly fee for service. I did auto pay with credit cards or sent a monthly invoice. Taking a credit card or mailing an invoice cost about the same amount, but I preferred credit card payment as no chasing down payment.

I pay for everything with credit if I can. It would be unusual to spend less than $1,000 a month on credit. I pay off the bill the day before it is due every month. I have one credit card with a 5% rate that I have run a balance on from time to time because the rate is low.

CC companies like "dead beats," as they tend to charge everything, racking up lots of merchant's fees. Recently I paid off a CC. Called to get EXACT payoff. Figure quoted was $0.63 more than pay off. So now I have a $0.63 credit on a paid off (and closed) CC. Each month they faithfully send me a statement showing a $0.63 credit. Wonder how long it will take for them to figure out it would be cheaper to send me a check for $0.63?

Blog Entries
    I come at the issue from the other end. I am a member of a local credit union. It is one of their highest paying savings plans. They pay me interest to use their credit/debit card. I began using it perhaps 12-14 years ago, maybe longer, when they were paying me over 5% interest on the balance in my account. That was far above a regular savings account. The only conditions were to do my banking with them online and use their credit/debit card 12 times per month. And they paid that higher interest rate for a balance up to $25,000. Over that amount drops you down to their regular interest on savings. No debt, and higher interest rate for savings.
    Their name for their program was "Checking Plus".
    Look around for credit unions in your area and start drawing higher interest on your savings. I still can't believe and have been looking for a downside to this, but that's where $25,000 of my money is. Of course with today's lower interest I'm only getting a little over 1%, but it's great to use a credit/debit card for everything. Just one example: It's late at night, your gas tank is on empty, can't find an open gas station. No problem, their pumps will still take your card. That has rescued me a couple of times.
    Check into it. (Pun not intended)

Blog Entries
    Incidentally, studies show that we spend more when we use plastic as opposed to cash. That's why fast food restaurants starting taking cards a few years back. It seems that swiping a card doesn't register with our pain center in the same way that pulling cash out and handing it over does.
    A cash customer likely looks into their wallet before making an order. The card customer likely just looks at the menu and thinks what the heck, supersize everything.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Perhaps, but I can't tell you the number of times uttering the phrase "well then I'll just contact my card issuer and let them deal with it" has suddenly changed someone's attitude on a problem over the years. Pretty sure Treasury doesn't do that. I've also taken advantage of insurance on items bought on the card a few times over the years. Those, coupled with the rewards, I'd guess I'm way ahead.