Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help finding 3''x1 1/4'' faceplate

help finding 3''x1 1/4'' faceplate

nova is slightly larger----oneway will fit but cost too much---has to fit a recess that's already there--its for a longworth chuck--tks,joe

I was going to recommend the faceplate that comes with the PM 3520b, but it costs $100? And it's not even mustard colored!

Easy wood tools sells an aluminum faceplate that's 2.5".

http://www.taytools.com/lathe-tools-...-threads-f624/

The Nova SFP80L is a 3" and is fairly cheap - - $20-30 depending on who you buy it from.
    I have an Easy Wood Tools 3-1/2" faceplate and it is a well manufactured product. It's price is in the same ball park

I suppose that if you had a beal 1-1/4" tap that you could make your own wooded faceplate of whatever diameter you want. There are videos that give helpful hints on making these.

I've got some oversized (~ 19" diameter) wooden faceplates upon which I attach large platters so that I can do finish work on the foot (tenon or mortise). With shims, I am able to get rid of virtually all wobble or run-out so that the foot is perfectly centered. Also, I'm holding the platter a bit more securely than with the typical rubber bottle stoppers used with a Longworth chuck. BTW, the threaded part of the wooden faceplate is a 4 x 4" block of hardwood tapped using a beal tap and both glued and screwed to the large wooden faceplate.

BTW, I measured the OD of the "hub" on my Easy wood tools faceplate and it is 2". That means that there is about 3/8 inch wall thickness in that threaded section. Looks reasonable. (I would also guess that it is probably a similar situation for most other 1-1/4" faceplates. )

That only leaves a flat area of about 1/2" all around - - that is between the hub and the edge of the FP. So if the attachment bolts are midway along the flat area, there is only 1/4" between the bolt hole centers and the outer edge. If measured from the bolt hole outer edge, there is only about 0.2". That seems kind of crowded.

You may want to consider at least 3-1/2 inch faceplate as it will give you more "meat" for mounting. I just measured my Easy Tools FP and it is actually a 4-1/2" diameter, but they do make a 3-1/2" model in that thread.

face plat

there is a 3'' cut out on the longworth chuck plate---it was designed for a 3''x1'' head stock-----nova measures 3 1/8''---I was trying not to have to try to enlarge it

I am not sure how hard the steel is, but you could probably cut or sand 1/16" off the nova faceplate if you were determined.

Quote Originally Posted by joe zarnitz View Post
    there is a 3'' cut out on the longworth chuck plate---it was designed for a 3''x1'' head stock-----nova measures 3 1/8''---I was trying not to have to try to enlarge it
    When I look at the picture of the Nova 3" (I didn't know that it was oversize), it looks like the screw holes are very close to the outside diameter. So if you were contemplating grinding off 1/8", you might be really close. Perhaps too close...

I did a google search and see that Woodcraft has a 2-1/2" OD faceplate. Perhaps that one will work.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/2...e_8RoCq-zw_wcB

Do you already have a face plate that is too big? If so, you could turn tenon onto a "waste block" to fit the recess in your longworth and attach your faceplate to it. Reading that, I'm not sure that I was very clear. If you have a 4" faceplate for example, use a 4" waste block. Turn a tenon on it to fit your 3" recess in the longworth and glue or screw the tenon into the longworth.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

9. You should take a look at Best Wood Tools......
    They make high quality for reasonable prices, and my service from them has been very good.

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/faceplates.html

Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-23-2017 at 2:06 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Couldn't you just make your own faceplate out of wood and get a perfect fit for your recess? All you need is 1 1/4" tap.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Do you have the original 1" threaded face plate? If so get a 1 1/4" to 1" adapter. Grizzly sells them for less than $8. They work well for me

c

I only use ONEWAY Faceplates. Very high quality. If you are a member of a turning club, I bet someone would loan you a 3 inch faceplate to get started. Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    You should take a look at Best Wood Tools......
    They make high quality for reasonable prices, and my service from them has been very good.

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/faceplates.html

This is by far the best suggestion in my opinion. The Best Wood Tools faceplates are excellent and the price can't be beat.
    Bill

So, Joe, you have at least three options that should work for you. A 3" faceplate (or maybe two), a 2-1/2" faceplate, and a suggestion to tap a block of wood. Which one have you chosen?

oneway 3'' faceplate