Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best tool for cutting tree root

best tool for cutting tree root

Had to pull up a 2 x3 concrete paver. My God, thing is HEAVY !!! Well, I dug out some of the dirt it was resting on, and leveled it off so that it was not up 1 solid Inch on the end of the Paver. Noticed a tree root from the old Pine tree that is next to the Paver that runs right underneath in the middle where the Paver sets. So, I chopped some it away and set the paver back down. Sits level with the other pavers, but when I walk on it , it rocks up about a quarter of a inch. Not much, but noticeable.

Should I pull that paver back up and chop that root out ? Is a Tiger Saw going to be able to cut through that root AND the dirt around that root ?

"Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    That's exactly what I used, plus a good axe, to cut the huge roots on a big cherry near a gas line. (I wanted to dig the stump out with the backhoe but didn't want to put any stress on the gas line.)

Also, I haven't used one but one guy told me he uses a chainsaw with carbide teeth to cut roots in the dirt.

I would definitely cut the root back as far as I could then fill and tamp firmly. I like to tamp with a fence post tamper (spud bar).

JKJ

I have had good luck cutting roots with the tiger saw and a pruning blade. The blade looks like bucksaw, very coarse teeth. It also is great for lumber without nails in it.

I use my Saw-zall with a very aggressive blade.

Sawzall works good.

But if it's level with the other pavers I'd guess there's a low spot and you could simply add some fill underneath compact it?

Sawzall with an agressive carbide blade.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    Yup, has always worked for me!!

Sawzall for me too.

I find the various green wood sawzall blades to be the best to cut trees and roots. Check out https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-...+blade+sawzall

edit... just looked at the reviews and it sounds like the seller above I posted is swapping the blades for ones not as good. I bought that exact one a few years back and they were great so not sure what's up now. Someone said to checkout the Bosch ones instead. https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RP125-1...vw_txt?ie=UTF8
    Last edited by Chris Fairbanks; 06-23-2017 at 12:46 AM.

I agree with a sawzall and a pruning blade. You probably won't care about rocks and dirt. The blades are cheap. If you have a carbide, that works, as well as those demo blades. The pruning blade is way faster.

Tiger saw. I plunge the blade into the dirt and then cut through the root. Does a great job of that, removed some very hefty roots that way.

A good, sturdy backhoe would probably do the trick.

Oh, wait, you probably want something reasonable to get ahold of, right? I usually just use an old beater axe that I keep for the purpose. Don't go tearing up a nice axe on a root!

Blog Entries
    Looks like the Sawzall with an aggressive blade is the winner, have to try that next time. I have poured concrete decorative curb as tree circles, the roots keep pushing them up, so about every year I have one that needs attention. In the past I just use an axe, or on big roots, my little Stihl 018 chainsaw after knocking the dirt of the root. I am going to order a three pack of PC 9" pruning blades for $9 on Amazon and give them a try. https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...D4G8V60K79VX0W

That is to go with my 3 chain saws, a Corona hand pruning saw (I even keep a folding one in my RV), various loppers, pruning shears, axe, heavy mattock style pick and my pole saw.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 06-23-2017 at 5:23 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

An easy way to waste a lot of wood in a limited space is with a wood boring drill bit (spade or auger bit) on a 1/2" drill. You can finish off with a chisel. I did this years ago for a root that intruded into my drainage system (causing a flood in my garage). An alternative to the Sawzall if you don't have one.