Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 3HP Dust collection set up

Laguna 3HP Dust collection set up

Hey all,

After messing around with various not good enough dust collection systems that still barely deal with my dewalt planer and not much else, I've scored a brand new (used a handful of times only) Laguna 3HP DC for $1200 ($1800 new) with various bits of flex hose and fittings.

My shop is more of a garage about 25x25'. There is a wide garage door, a normal entry door and no windows. The attic is empty. There is a small concrete pad on one side where a 2nd exterior door was never added.

I'm now having to re-arrange my entire shop but I need to do so with dust collection in mind. Of the many ways I could do this, here's what I have so far. Please comment and let me know if my assumptions are well placed.

Scenario 1 (easiest)- Run 6" metal duct along ceiling to DC in one corner of the room, vent into room. I assume this will be very noisy and unpleasant while it runs but then, I'll be running a noisy tool at the same time so who cares? I figure I don't need to worry about replacing air in the shop this way though.

Scenario 2 (moderate)- As above but run ductwork through the attic which is empty. Only advantage would be avoiding cluttering the ceiling with duct work.

Scenario 3 (hard)- Build a little closet off the building over that small concrete pad I mentioned above. I'd have to penetrate the exterior wall, re-route some electric and come up with some design of handling airflow from that closet to return it to the shop.

I should mention this is an un-heated space but it is insulated so it's relatively pleasant in both winter and summer provided we are in a heat wave or a cold spell. Eventually, I'll be adding heat to it though.

I guess what I'm mainly trying to decide is just how awful it will be listening to the DC when I have to run it and if the value of locating it out the main room will be a big enough advantage to do all the work.

I have been struggling with the exact issue for my new shop. My situation is a bit different but I have decided to build a small closet outside of my shop to reduce the noise. The return air will be thru vents/openings connecting the closet to the shop. The openings will have a short plenum behind them lined with acoustical material and one 90 degree bend. I am running my duct exposed due to my lack of confidence that I will get the tool arrangement right on the first try thus expecting to modify it. Exposed will be easier to modify over time.

You make a great point there, actually. Odds are good that I'll want to move tools around down the line and I would end up with a major pain in my butt having to re-plumb all that ducting. So that part is decided at least.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gutierrez View Post
    I have been struggling with the exact issue for my new shop. My situation is a bit different but I have decided to build a small closet outside of my shop to reduce the noise. The return air will be thru vents/openings connecting the closet to the shop. The openings will have a short plenum behind them lined with acoustical material and one 90 degree bend. I am running my duct exposed due to my lack of confidence that I will get the tool arrangement right on the first try thus expecting to modify it. Exposed will be easier to modify over time.

Most DCs are noisy, but not generally as noisy as a table saw as you point out. Put the cans on and use scenario 1. Scenario 2 is not going to change the noise level (just looks neater) and scenario 3 sounds like a lot of work with the disadvantage of providing make up air sometime in the future. In some cases, venting directly outside (if an option) can significantly reduce the noise level. You might also want to consider SDR pipe instead of steel - worked out cheaper for me, slightly larger ID, smoother bore and was a lot easier to install.

Alex,

I would agree with what Andy and David have mentioned. A couple of comments or questions; do you have neighbors close enough that they will be annoyed by your DC outside and what is this closet going to look like? I have seen walk in closets that have conditioned air to extended overhangs (nothing more). My concern is too small of an enclosed space on a hot to very hot day and your closet becomes an oven heating up the motor before it is turned on. Just some thoughts.

Hope this helps.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Gauthier View Post
    ...Run 6" metal duct...
    Sounds way small. Isn't 8" more like it? That's what my 3hp Dust Gorilla looks like it wants.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The question of 8" VS 6" duct is an interesting one.

I have a 5 hp Dust Gorilla. I tested it with 8" pipe straight run of 8 feet and measured about 1650 cfm. For my shop, I elected to go with 6" PVC due to space and costs. I have a couple of 90 degree bends, 6 feet of straight pipe and then a Wye where I measured the flow and got 1360 cfm.

While I did see about a 300 cfm reduction going from 8 to 6 inch, I still have adequate flow for very good dust collection.

Larry, did you consider 8" metal for that first 6' and then transition to 6" PVC at the wye? 'Just curious...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The advice given out by ClearVue for a 5HP DC was 8 inch duct for multiple machines running at the same time, otherwise 6 inch is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    The advice given out by ClearVue for a 5HP DC was 8 inch duct for multiple machines running at the same time, otherwise 6 inch is enough.
    Absolutely correct advice. Too many people see commercial shops with huge ducts and think bigger is better.

Alex:

As mentioned by others, scenario 1 which you might want to adapt as per suggestions received.

My son has a shop of similar size to yours; mine is smaller (14 x 20). We both have ClearVue 5hp cyclones, installed and vented inside the shop. His unit is installed directly on the wall; mine is in an insulated closet. My work environment is quieter than his, but his is not overly noisy - so, your assumption about noise is correct. Although I notice the additional heat generated by the motor in the summer time, it becomes a bonus in winter - so for me venting inside is adequate.

As mentioned by Andy, I have used 6" PVC pipe (not glued, just sealed with caulking - I should have used metallic tape maybe) with blast gates and a short run of 6" or 4" flexible connecting to each machine. Fairly easy to install and not overly expensive. The piping runs on the ceiling of the garage. My son is temporarily just using on 6" flex hose connected to a "switch box" (plywood box with blast gates to choose which machine is being serviced) until he finalizes his shop layout. A bit more clumsy but very good performance.

Hope this helps!

Maybe I am missing the point, but you will always have hearing protection on for whatever tool you are using, so why does the cyclone noise matter?

I do in general but often not if I am just making cuts at my TS which is t very loud. I Could do a better job of wearing protection in general though

discussion of ducting has uncovered a question. I was planning to use metal because I assumed t would be easier t ground for static discharge. Am I mistaken on that count?

in summer I usually work with the garage door open so the additional heat venting inside won't bother me much I hope. This combined with other advice appeals to my lazy nature. Looks like I can get away with not building an outdoor enclosure for my D.C.!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Maybe I am missing the point, but you will always have hearing protection on for whatever tool you are using, so why does the cyclone noise matter?

Alex, there are plenty of threads here and info elsewhere about the static myth related to PVC duct. There's no need to ground it and I can stand right beside mine when the DC is running and no static discharge (does make the hairs on my arms stand up though :-))

If you live in a moderate climate, venting outside with no filter is great. When you have a overhead door, even with weatherstripping, the door will leak enough for make up air. Mostly because the door is inside the building, if it were outside the weatherstrip would seal much better.