Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 3HP Dust collection set up

Resurrecting this thread now that I've done some more research in other threads here;

Here's my plan at this point (I think) What do YOU think?

1. Installing DC near garage door because that'll be the shortest run to my highest dust producing machines. This will also allow me to easily vent outdoors if I decide to go that way.
    2. 8" inlet on the DC means I can go with 8" pipe. I plan to run 8" all the way to a short section of flex hose for each machine. Where possible, I'll upsize the port on machines.
    3. I'm going to attempt to put the blast gates at the connection to the main line. My thought is to use some kind of little pole to easily manipulate the gates. Will this annoy me?
    4. Metal pipe, Nordfab QD style. I've decided that it's likely I'll be moving stuff around as I settle on a good layout and this style of pipe seems to be the easiest to maintain and relocate. Since I only need to connect the TS, floor sweep and router to start with, the cost will hopefully be bearable. From what I've gathered, I'll end up just using a shopvac still for my tools with smaller dust ports (miter saw, ROS, etc.)

Am I on the right track with keeping as much 8" ducting as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Alex, there are plenty of threads here and info elsewhere about the static myth related to PVC duct. There's no need to ground it and I can stand right beside mine when the DC is running and no static discharge (does make the hairs on my arms stand up though :-))

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Gauthier View Post
    ...My thought is to use some kind of little pole to easily manipulate the gates...
    Sorry, but this simply makes no sense.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Unless you are going to operate multiple machines at the same time, 8 inch is overkill IMO, especially on a 3HP. Even though you have 8 inch inlet there are plenty of us operating larger DCs with 6 inch duct and no issues. Your choice but I think you'll pay a significant upcharge for 8 vs 6 quick connect.

Having gates within arms reach is ideal. Depending on how many gates you have, reaching for a little pole every time you want to change over is going to get old

I was basing the 8" ducting off the writing of Bill Pentz in regard to the removal of fine particles. Am I over-complicating things?

Unless you are going to operate multiple machines at the same time, 8 inch is overkill IMO, especially on a 3HP. Even though you have 8 inch inlet there are plenty of us operating larger DCs with 6 inch duct and no issues. Your choice but I think you'll pay a significant upcharge for 8 vs 6 quick connect.

Having gates within arms reach is ideal. Depending on how many gates you have, reaching for a little pole every time you want to change over is going to get old

If your dust collector inlet is 8" I would not make the main duct 6". Stick with the 8".

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Gauthier View Post
    I was basing the 8" ducting off the writing of Bill Pentz in regard to the removal of fine particles. Am I over-complicating things?
    Alex, I'm just pointing out that you don't need 8 inch if you are using one machine at a time and want to keep your duct costs down. Not sure why Laguna felt it necessary to put an 8 inch port on a 3HP machine as most are either 6 or 7 (Oneida, ClearVue). Maybe it was so they could put the 3x4" coupling on the front?

I think 6" will give more than enough flow to handle one machine at a time. With 6" you can get probably around 900-1000 cfm. I get almost 700 cfm with 6" PVC and 4" flex hose into my cabinet saw. Yes, a 8" pipe may give you a little more but is it worth the cost. The cost of pipe and fittings goes up quickly with size.

I would hold off enlarging any machine ports. With your DC, I think 4" ports will work fine. I use the 4" ports on my planer and cabinet saw and it collects almost all of the dust and chips. Yes, a larger port is theoretically better but do you really need it.

...Not sure why Laguna felt it necessary to put an 8 inch port on a 3HP machine as most are either 6 or 7 (Oneida, ClearVue)...
    My 3 hp Oneida cyclone has an 8" port.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    My 3 hp Oneida cyclone has an 8" port.
    I'm sure it does, Andy - everything on their website in the 3HP range is now 7 for some reason

Id suggest read Sandor Nagyszalanczy's Woodshop Dust Control book and or Air Handlings pdf on sizing dust control. You need to do some layout and math in order to size this right. You dont want to run the risk of leaving dust piles in your duckwork.

I'm sure it does, Andy - everything on their website in the 3HP range is now 7 for some reason
    lots of money to be made selling ductwork if you recommend a size that is hard for the average hobbiest to source locally. My 3hp Oneida V3000 runs just fine using 6" pvc. I've posted my (properly) measured results here in the past.

My Murphy Rogers 2Hp DC has a 5" intake port. I could only find 5" PVC in expensive conduit so I made a taper adapter to 6" PVC.
    Bill D.

... but could be done using a small handle / button and steel cable (similar to a brake cable setup on a bicycle).

Jacques

14. I have the same dust collector and it works very well for my shop. My set up is for a 836 sf shop. The dust collector is in an attached 12 x 24 unheated shed. I ran 8 inch from the inlet for 15 feet to a Y and split into 2 6 inch lines to the machines and then to a 4 inch with a blast gate at each machine. My make up air in the winter heating season is to simply crack open the door to the shed. I leave 2 blast gates open ( 1 on each of the 6 inch runs ) to machines all the time. I can also open a third gate to another machine and it works fine. I run the collector almost continiously during the day in my 1 man pro shop. It is nice to have the noise in a seperate room and the make up air is just recirculated air from the shop. I used metal HVAC 26 ga. pipe and taped the joints. the duct pipe for the 6 and 8 inch including fittings and reducers for the 4 inch cost about $300 total. It has been a very good system for multiple machines at a reasonable cost. I think you will really like this dust collector.

That's good to know. I just got the new 220 circuit in for it. Next going to purchase duct. Looking at costs, in my case there is only about $100 between PVC and Snaploc but I'll probably go with the PVC for ease of working with it. I'll have to cobble together a few parts I imagine but after the help of an engineer woodworking friend, I'm going with 6" mains and drops, reducing as necessary at tools.

One interesting tip he gave me was to not even worry about using the dust collection on my Bosch miter saw (he has the same one) and just build a big dust hood behind it with a 6" outlet. Has anyone compared results of using only a dust hood on a miter saw and using both the outlet for the saw and a dust hood? It would seem to me that doing it that way could spew a lot of fine particles around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Latourelle View Post
    I have the same dust collector and it works very well for my shop. My set up is for a 836 sf shop. The dust collector is in an attached 12 x 24 unheated shed. I ran 8 inch from the inlet for 15 feet to a Y and split into 2 6 inch lines to the machines and then to a 4 inch with a blast gate at each machine. My make up air in the winter heating season is to simply crack open the door to the shed. I leave 2 blast gates open ( 1 on each of the 6 inch runs ) to machines all the time. I can also open a third gate to another machine and it works fine. I run the collector almost continiously during the day in my 1 man pro shop. It is nice to have the noise in a seperate room and the make up air is just recirculated air from the shop. I used metal HVAC 26 ga. pipe and taped the joints. the duct pipe for the 6 and 8 inch including fittings and reducers for the 4 inch cost about $300 total. It has been a very good system for multiple machines at a reasonable cost. I think you will really like this dust collector.