Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Commissioning a new Felder machine

I didn't ask him specifically if I could hire him for the set up. Maybe I should have. I just asked for help

Sam Blasco, my former colleague (and still a Minimax/SCM rep) could be another option. I know that he does in-house (Austin-area) seminars and has also traveled to customers' shops in the past to do the same thing. In fact, I think Sam just got back from Italy and did a video on the big Elite-S full combo when he was there. You might reach out to him. Cost probably would be the same as what you would pay felder but unlike a machine tech (not that there's anything wrong with that role), Sam can do the commissioning AND show how to actually use the machine and get the most out of it. Not to be cute, but you did buy the BMW. You can't just go to the local lube joint for an oil chage or tuneup, if you get what I mean.

Erik

Yes, Sam is a great guy. I communicated with him a lot over the last couple years about a saw and jointer/planer. He was always available to answer questions. I feel terrible I didn't order from him but it just came down to options and accessories with the Felder. Maybe I'll try contacting him and asking but I have to admit I feel awkward after I went with the competitor.

I couldn't agree with you more on the BMW comment. More like a Mercedes. Great vehicles and over engineered like Felder. When they need repairs it's expensive. My wife's car for example has two batteries, one for starting in the front and one in the rear for the accessories. It was $800 for two batteries. A used Mercedes isn't expensive to own but expensive to maintain.

Dave, maybe I need to make that trip up to see you after all. I forgot we spoke a few years ago privately about sliding table saws.

I think I have a David Best book somewhere. I'll look. I have seven or eight sliders to look at if you get this direction. Dave

Wow, I guess we spoke back in 2012. I live in La Crosse WI. 7 or 8 sliders? You must have some kind of business.

The accounting business supports the hobby. I buy used and rehab. Goes in starts and stops. Working on metalworking machines now. they make woodworking stuff seem really simple. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I think I have a David Best book somewhere. I'll look. I have seven or eight sliders to look at if you get this direction. Dave
    I only have 5 now....newest one is a scmi si12 short stroke. Looking forward to using that saw, the two 10'6" ones I have are basically worthless for anything I do.

Darcy, just means you are more sensible than I am. SI12 has always looked like a decent machine. How does it compare to your Whitney? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Darcy, just means you are more sensible than I am. SI12 has always looked like a decent machine. How does it compare to your Whitney? Dave
    I loved that 77, it was a good all around saw. The scmi let's me do some larger cross cut work, I will miss the dado capacity of the 77, I can still use the scmi like a regular saw as well. I think the si12 is a more versital saw, but it doesn't have the rarity or the looks of the 77.